Monday, October 8, 2012

PEOPLE BEFORE PINK

It's always about people.  People first.  Long before this blog was born, indeed long before I could have even DREAMED this is where I'd be at this point in my life, I realized something was not right.  With my brain, I mean.  Some might argue there was plenty wrong with my brain long before chemotherapy but I might respond to "some" with language befitting a truck driver.

My first validation and the beginning of my quest to understand what may have happened to my brain came from a book. Your Brain After Chemo is an invaluable source of information and as a result of this blogging adventure, I have become friends with one of its authors.  Idelle Davidson reached out to me almost a year ago.  She is a real writer.  I was and still am, the court jester in this chemobrain gig.

Life is filled with all sorts of "moments" and seeing the email from Idelle was among those thrilling life moments .  Not only had she validated my brain issues when I purchased her book in 2009 when it was FIRST published, she validated me, as a writer, in her email-in 2011.  Idelle is now my friend.  If you were to look through some of the comments on this blog, you will see the jokes about Abbott and Costello.  She's Bud.  I'm Lou.  There will be a chemobrain version of "Who's on First."

I AM going somewhere with this.  Last week, Idelle sent a message in the world that is twitter.  Someone left a comment on her blog.  I have LONG suspected that the number of people who struggle with cognitive issues and other types of impairment that prevents them from functioning at their pre-cancer levels is FAR greater than anyone will ever be able to accurately calculate.  The following is a comment that was left on Idelle's blog.  It was left there last week.  I'm going to reprint the comment here and if you are so inclined, maybe you can jump over to Idelle's blog if you want to leave some words of encouragement for this woman.  When you read it, you will understand why the person did not leave a name.

Below you will find a link to the post and the comment in case you want to reach out.  And speaking of reaching out, I deviated from my usual pattern.  I normally respond to the comments left here.  Individually.  The past three blog posts, nada.  No interaction.  I've read the comments and I have some acknowledgements that I will make.  Hopefully before I have to get out of Dodge on Wednesday morning.  Read:  I have an out of town meeting and I will be gone from Wednesday until Friday .

Suffice to say, I've been involved in a fairly "you are in over your head" project and I will see just how far over my head I am before the end of this week.  And then, life will go back to normal.  Until the next thing.  (If you must know, "the next thing" is preparing for the NYC Avon Walk and how I am going to take the Hilton by storm on October 19, single-handedly, if necessary--my volunteers aren't stepping up.... just my one, always there, go to person)

Back to PEOPLE First.......  This is the reality of chemobrain.  This is what I try to joke about.  This is why it's NOT funny. This is why we simply MUST change the course of this disease.  No one should feel like this woman.  A sister survivor. She could use some encouragement.

This link should take you right to the comment.  The blog post was written by Idelle two years ago.  The comment is reprinted here.....  Who among us can't relate?  I want to roam the streets of Southern California and find this woman to give her a giant hug.  Except, she is hiding.  In fear of losing her job. Like I said, the stuff extends far beyond what is reported.....


As I sit here, barely able to continue reading through tears, I am grateful for this blog and for your generous, I heartfelt writing, Idelle. And for all of you who've gone through this journey...thank you for sharing.

Currently struggling with long-term side effects including chemo brain, depression, fatigue, pain, GI upset, hot flashes, balance issues and more chemo brain - trying to address issues one at a time with my Onc team - I was dealt a heavy blow. Excited to begin a research study on Breast Cancer Survivor Cognitive Impairment, I was denied time off by my (physician!) bosses who find the one-morning-per-week x 5 week commitment "unacceptable" & feel they've been more than accommodating with my health issues. I was informed I must be in the office during business hours (even though 80% of my job as Practice Manager is HR, financials, credentialing, contracting, behind-the-scenes work that is easily done after hours or from home without interruption). I am working on a written reasonable accommodation request (for flexible hours, working from home if recovering or having bad day, etc.) as I have sleep interruption, neuropathy, hot flashes, nausea & diarrhea most mornings that prevent me from working early AM hours, plus I have more energy & concentration "spurts" in the afternoons (things move in slow motion & take 3-4 times as long for me to complete IF I am able to, but later in the day, I feel a bit "brighter" even though I could nap at an second). Oh, the JOYS of chemo that no one warned me about!!!!

I dread asking for accommodation as I know m bosses feel I should be "back to normal" by now, but the more I push myself, the more side effects are "triggered". Being told I must physically be present in the office (even if I am locked in my office, dizzy & laing on the floor!) during business hours - a point brought up at my review last year - "attendance has been a problem. You took too much time off for cancer treatment" - even though I worked through chemo, taking a few days off after each treatment (4 weeks off after surgery, 6 weeks off once cumulative effects of radiation knocked me out).

Sadly, I cannot change jobs as I have excellent medical insurance & a staff that protects me & tries to cover for me when I am forgetful or cannot concentrate. I cannot let my bosses know the extent of my brain dysfunction or I'll be fired....just have to say long term side effects (I've already been told "if you're too sick to work, we'll find someone who's not"). I am no longer the sharp, quick-thinking, proactive multi-tasker with one eye on the future & the big picture always in sight. I am now partially numb, irritable, forgetful, sloppy, leave 5 projects partially completed, have no off-the-cuff answers for anything without looking at my notes to see where I left off and I would rather stay in bed where my weaknesses won't be exposed.

Yes, Survivor Sisters, you are not alone. I am here suffering & struggling most of the day, every day. Trying to stay above water & under the radar so I don't get fired for being one big malfunction after 17 years in the field & 10 on the job. I want to scream "NO FAIR!!!!" but I feel selfish. I got to live...but it's someone elses's life as this is not me.

Praying for all of you & wishing you blessings.

SoCal Survivor

22 comments:

  1. Hello my friend. Went to the link and left a comment for SoCal. Everything in her post sounds eerily familiar doesn't it? You know I would be there by your side storming the Hilton if I was anywhere near you! Keep doing what your doing! Hugs. Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb.......
      I hope SoCal saw the comments... and I know you'd storm the Hilton with me, too!
      xoxox

      Delete
  2. AnneMarie,

    This posting is so valid for so many reasons. Davidson's book is terrific and validated my brain issues after chemo. Chemobrain is certainly not a joke; I struggle with it myself. Thank you for sharing that poignant comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth...
      I agree whole-heartedly and now, I have to go get ANOTHER book.... Kudos to you!!
      xoxox

      Delete
  3. Lou,

    I'm 14 years out and every year my thinking sharpens - and not the other way around. We have just tipped the iceberg on chemo brain, and I'm grateful to you and Idelle for your advocacy in this area. Thanks for a great post -

    Jms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody...

      You made me laugh.... Last week, I was busy reading other stuff quite carefully and here, not so much. Seeing "Lou" just cracked me up.... I'm grateful for the community you have built. I think you and Alicia may have your own version of A&C going on ....

      Hugs... and I loved the real life ones!

      AM

      Delete
  4. Dear AnneMarie,

    Thank you so much for reposting the comment from Anonymous on your blog and for your generous words about me and my book. Yes, we ARE friends. I am grateful for that each and every day and for your beautifully written columns that usually leave me laughing or crying but always inspired and wanting to do better.

    About Anonymous, in 2006 when I first started writing about chemo brain, what so many of us in the cancer community wanted was validation. For the most part, we got it although still there are oncologists who ignore the scientific literature and distance themselves from concerns about their patients' quality of life.

    What’s particularly distressing to me about Anonymous’ story is not just that her bosses appear to be stuck in the Neanderthal era when it comes to validation, but that Anonymous is left dangling, and living in fear that she’ll lose her job. In my reply, I suggested she contact the Cancer Legal Resource Center (a free, confidential service: 866-8432572) and ask how she might qualify for accommodations or work retraining under the Americans With Disabilities Act. I hope she does so.

    I also hear stories from people who are embarrassed and ashamed that they’ll be found out for being “less than” the person they used to be. It’s clear that validation needs to evolve into acceptance and concrete solutions. We need to get more cognitive rehabilitation programs funded and move into the real help phase.

    Thank you Barb, Beth and Jody for your kind words. And Beth, I'm looking at the cover of your book right now, it's right above me on my shelf. Loved the chapters on husbands and sex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Idelle,

      You have championed this cause and as I began reading your book and looking through your research to find more things done by the doctors at the forefront, my entire world changed. YOU were instrumental in helping me to change my world and it's a better place .... I'm where I belong, doing what I should....

      Much respect and SO much gratitude.. oh yes and lots of love heading your way...

      xoxox

      Delete
  5. SoCal Survivor's words really struck me. Every word sank to my gut. This is what life is like for so many of us. I was fortunate to be able to participate in the pilot study of the research project that she mentions. I can feel her anger and frustration. Idelle, you are correct. We need validation. That was one of the main things I took away from the research project. Finally, I was in an environment where the professionals acknowledged that going through cancer does something to the brain AND they were trying their hardest to find a way to help us. That's really all we need. We want help. We want support. Thank goodness Anonymous has supportive co-workers. I can't imagine what she faces every day walking into that office. I admire her for being able to do it everyday, regardless how she feels. But it is just wrong for her to be treated that way. Please follow Idelle's advice and check out the legal rights to accommodations. This chemobrain stuff is real folks. This is what cancer treatment does to us. Please don't exploit us as survivors who have a wonderful new life. I could not return to my job. Tried. Failed miserably. What can I do? Who will hire me at this point in my life? Too old. Too much experience and no experience in assembly line working, doing the same thing all day long--I figure that is about all my brain will let me do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb...

      Isn't it funny how we connected behind the scenes and quickly learned how UNCANNY it was for us to see such similarities in our lives. Validation is possibly the single most important piece of this mess. And laughing if it's possible.... When careers are on the line, it's no longer funny. It's awful. Your words are powerful and this is the truth that's buried beneath all of that hopeful stuff..... There are effects that can follow us for the long haul and force what can be unwelcome changes.

      Love, hugs and all that stuff....
      xoxox

      Delete
  6. AnneMarie, Thank you for posting this letter from Anonymous. I have had the support of my employers and my students (college)since diagnosis in 2010 but returning to former levels of functioning is not going to happen. I lose words when teaching, still battle fatigue, etc. I can retire soon so I will schedule that but it is not the way I wanted to leave my position. I feel for Anonymous because she doesn't have the support she deserves. Thank you AnneMarie for taking up the battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUGS to you, Meg. Cancer is disruptive. Period. It's the degree of the disruption that makes the difference. And, it's the support of those around us that mitigates some of that disruption.

      xoxo

      Delete
  7. thank you for posting Anonymous' comment on you site. I truly feel for her and hope she will find her way to #bcsm and more support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you..... I hope she finds her way to #bcsm, too. The community is growing each and every week and it has become quite special. Just like you... SPECIAL....


      Delete
  8. Anne Marie - thanks for posting SoCal's comment. That poor woman - I can truly sympathize with what she's going through (been there, done that), although my bosses weren't physicians. As a side note, seriously, what is wrong with those people? They should be able to understand what this woman is dealing with, or at least be more sensitive. I also posted on Idelle's site so hopefully she sees our comments and knows she has many, many kindred spirits.
    I know you aren't crazy about this whole "breast cancer awareness month" hype, but you are making us more aware of some of the crap out there, which is a good thing. Thanks for being such a crusader.

    Love ya! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen...
      I'm in LOVE with breast cancer awareness month THIS year because we are finally raising the right kind of awareness.....My head feels like it's spinning because SO many people are finally on this bandwagon. When I read about people making phone calls or posting things on FB or twitter or blogging about the stupidity, I smile. It's progress.

      We need progress so we can bring the reality above the pink surface. There's a change in the air and I'm loving it.

      I'm so glad you are part of MY world. You mean the world TO ME!

      xoxox

      Delete
  9. Thank you AnneMarie for once again opening my eyes to Idelle and this poor woman who was facing so much at once with terrible people surrounding her job. They did not have a clue about what chemo does to you. I could relate to some of what she was talking about, but for today I just want to thank you for introducing more new people to me who have been on this journey....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Susan,

      The raw emotion in that post got me..... and I can't ever sit back when I see something like this. As for Idelle.... I can't say enough about how special she is!

      Hugs....

      Delete
  10. dear annemarie,

    thank you so much for this post. this poor woman works for physicians??! really? seriously?? i am thunder struck about their attitude of completely nixing SoCal's very admirable desire to participate in the research study regarding the cognitive impairment post breast cancer treatment; so much so that i wonder if they find the very notion of her chemobrain being validated as threatening to their stance of refusing to allow even minimal accomodations to her work schedule. SHAME ON THEM! i also went to the comment site to leave a message of support to SoCal. so glad you posted her comment, and so glad to have been introduced to your friend, idelle.

    love,

    karen, TC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ktc,

      Your capacity to open your heart to all of this fills my soul in ways I can't even describe. I've said it many times... I cherish your words.... they bring depth and LIFE to my words.

      MUCH love always,
      AnneMarie

      Delete
  11. Dear Anne Marie,
    I am reading all this in tears. I really have to get Idell's book. Going through chemo and radiation, and herceptin I have been very blessed by my boss and co-workers that kept my time away under the radar and covered for me. I was very low on accumulated sick time and they were very versatile in keeping me from losing any more time. I feel so heartsick for SoCal. I know we have all experienced the effects of chemo on our brain. I had two incidences of it tonight and think of ways to laugh it off, but inside, it's scary to me cause I don't know where some of the things I say come from. I now work in a different job, my work is very fast-paced and I need to continually multi-task. Plus when my supervisor asks me if something was completed, I sometimes can't remember if it has been. I've been making lists to cover my lists. No one knows the scary feeling this is, as I know I was always on top of things, remembered the things I did and needed to do and could my fingers on the things I accomplished. Now I digging through piles of paper, looking through file cabinets and feel like I'm wasting time just trying to remember. Thank you for letting me unload and know there are so many others feeling the same. SoCal, keep pushing forward. I am praying for you.

    Nataline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nataline,

      Yes, get Idelle's book! I am not kidding when I say I have a copy from the first printing.

      I love that this has become a place to share.... and a place of support.... I know how you feel...we ALL get it. "Lists to cover lists" .... it's very frustrating and the biggest reason for that? We KNOW what we COULD do before this stuff happened.

      You are so special to me....

      xoxox

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!