Tuesday, August 28, 2012

SYNCHRONIZED ORDINARY CELEBRATIONS

Today, my ordinary celebration is to recognize that my life has taken on a new meaning and Marie has played a role in cresting the wave upon which I am now perched.  The main photo... You BET:




Adding Marie's blog image was an inspiration that came after I began reading all of the Ordinary Celebrations that are spreading around the blogosphere like absolute wildfire.  Let's start at the beginning and I will make the "intro" quick.... Here WAS today's ordinary celebration.  

   

My yoga mat which became a part of my life as 2010 began to wind to a close.  It was a shitty-ish year.  Or not.  I suppose it's all about perspective.  Practicing yoga was the only form of exercise allowed by my surgeon after a somewhat extensive surgery and it was with the caveat: "NO engaging the abdominal muscles."  As a result, I began one on one yoga instruction.  The stretches were tailored to my specific needs.  And it has evolved.  Yoga is now a part of me.  It's what keeps my life in balance.  It's what makes me stop before I launch myself from zero to raging.  It's what energizes me to keep doing what I know I WANT to do.  Yoga helped me eliminate the static from my life.  The background noise is gone and in that space of silence, I can truly listen to the messages my brain is trying to transmit to my heart and soul.  Too zen?

Ok... then, let's move on..... the laptop and the iPad (which is a very handy device when I'm on the run) have become the best tools I own to assist me in listening to those messages.  Something so public, like blogging, is the result of something so private, like yoga and meditation.  That is the essence of yoga.  Balancing the opposites.  I'm sticking with zen.  It's gotten me pretty far on my own Journey Beyond Breast Cancer.

The laptop is a lifeline to a global community.  Yes.  Global.  There are people I consider to be integral in my life.  They are as far away as South Africa and New Zealand and they are in my own backyard.  And, everywhere in between, too.  I am part of a community that is proving we are stronger together than the sum of our parts.  (And yes, I WILL have to think about that, analyze the words, figure out if they even make sense because that's got a number theme and numbers are my own personal chemobrain hell..... in a former life... I was The It Girl when it came to numbers.... )

Yesterday, for example, the laptop enabled me to monitor events in Montreal where the Cancer Congress is being held.  As I was putting this blog together, I got to be part of a "Storify" put together by the American Cancer Society News tweeps. Another unexpected "add on" in this blogpost. Look:  

Proof positive.  We are connected.  And, we are in sync.  And this is how we can begin to effect real, meaningful change.  

This is what prompted the rewriting of this post.  Synchronicity.  Yesterday, I was catching up on everyone's Ordinary Celebrations and I began to see something that made me smile.  We are in tune with one another.  Forgive me if I didn't leave a comment or if I fail to include a mention here but chemobrain absolutely has its own set of unique challenges.  Feel FREE to include any links in the comments.  I need all the help I can get and YES, that is was this blog is all about.  An interactive exchange of thoughts, feelings and support.  Link away....

Here's what began to make me smile.  We seemed to be doing things in pairs, sometimes rippling into groups.  UNplanned. It started when I read Lori's blog.  She was celebrating bees.  Lori and I were roomies at the NBCC summit.  Many of you already know that.  Lori and I were often referred to as "The Newlyweds."  For the record, Lori and I each have husbands..... but... yes, we connected instantly and deeply.  Yesterday as Lori wrote about bees, take note of the last picture in my ordinary celebration.  Renn had flowers with a little critter smiling back at her.  Read the comments and you will see that Renn's post for the next day... and she had not seen my comment.... Well.... you tell me this isn't everyone sync'ing up.

As I began poking around, this theme of synchronicity was buzzing (yes, pun).  Beth and Jamie were talking kittens.  Then, I see Nancy and Brenda talking about food and I'm getting ready to run to a specialty store to get all sorts of goodies. When Katie and Jan were sharing their experiences of leaving for new homes, I think I got all teary.  Even Yvonne talked about houses, albeit houses of a different kind!  There was a tree theme going on and I will send you directly to Marie's blog to see how Nancy, Phillipa and Martine  were all about those trees!

Mostly, today's celebration is about MARIE.  She has been such an instrumental part of bringing so many of us together and today, I welcome Lisa.....  who has decided to "march" along with all of us.  With the weekly round up and now, with this photographing of the ordinary, she continues to bring us together.

The yoga and web2.0 do fit into this paradigm.  Without either of those things, this entire blog would be little more than a figment of someone's imagination... likely not even mine......

To get back to the original photo, MY original photo, there are two items that require a closer inspection.  This is the Where's Waldo section of today's post.

This little citrine colored glass sculpture sitting in the midst of the mat was a gift.  A yoga pose.  Very introspective.




AND That little slip of paper taped to the cover of my laptop?  The fortune cookie tells the whole story......

18 comments:

  1. love, love, love!

    It is truly amazing how we zigged and zagged around the globe to blog in such a beautifully synchronistic way. The "sync" factor is very strong! I think we may need to rename Marie's Challenge "The 'S' Factor" !!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sync'd up stuff, too....

      The S Factor.... Very clever!!

      xoxox

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post that really sums it up: we are sync'd. Thank you for mentioning my kitty post. Like you, I am so grateful to Marie for keeping this sense of community going strong. I love the picture of the citrine sculpture. BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Hemi doesn't get "kitty envy" .... I did see the new post!

      Delete
  3. Not only has it been amazing to see how much we are all on the same page...that we can draw a line from one post to the next (I had a tree pic today!), but that it unites us in so many ways, transcending the reasons we came into the bonds that keep us here.

    And as for you, my friend..."instantly and deeply"? Hell...we connected before we got there! And I'm so lucky we did!!! I love you!! XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Transcending the reasons we came into the bonds ..... Eloquently stated and wonderfully true!

      Yes, we most certainly did connect before we got to DC. It was the opening of that door and the shrieks and hugs that followed. Kinda like transcending the online relationship and bringing it into the 3D world...

      WE are both lucky.... I love you, too!!!!

      xoxox

      Delete
  4. Speechless! Humbled! Awed!

    Apart from your kindness toward me...you have done an amazing round up of the challenge and absolutely nailed the amazing connection we seem to share..though globally diverse...we are one in heart and spirit. You made my day Anne Marie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    PS You should so register your blog for this! http://blogactionday.org/ The theme this year is the Power of We!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindness is more than well deserved. As I was jumping from blog to blog and seeing the posts, it really made me smile. They were such random things (like BEES--really???) and also things that are so infrequent (like moving from a home???!!! ) it was calling me to connect the dots.

      The only reason the "dots" were there to be connected was because of you. I might add, with all honesty, I know some of us were beginning to get the burnout feeling. This was a lovely way to stay in the rhythm without burning out.

      xoxoxox

      Delete
  5. It is all about Marie, our catalyst, and all about how each of us has taken this theme and run with it. The fact that our paths have crossed and converged is so cool, and I'm glad you pointed it out. One thing I'm eternally grateful for is this amazing community of women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too am so grateful for the connections I made and I wonder if I hadn't been pointed to Marie's Round Up how long it would have taken me to find everyone with whom I've become so close.

      Yes, Marie the catalyst and the community running with it! FYI-your breakfast reminded me it was time to eat... :)

      Hugs....

      Delete
  6. The "S" Factor definitely abounds. We are forever linked not just by breast cancer, but by an unspoken bond developed by shared experiences and getting to know one another through our blogs. No BS, no waisted platitudes like so, "Where did you grow up?" or "How long have you lived here?" None of that matters because we have far deeper and more meaningful things to share and ways to support one another.

    XOXOXO,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brenda I DO believe that is a big part of the power behind online relationships. We come together like minded due to a shared experience and we stand before each other with our souls bared. There is a sincerity that exists within the pages of these blogs that makes us ONE.

      xoxoxox

      Delete
  7. The "S" factor really is alive and well. It's absolutely astounding how we can be so in tune with each other all across the globe. Thank you, AnneMarie, for this fantastic post about the glue that holds us all together. What a wonderful tribute to Marie, who really gets fires kindled all around us on new topics to expound upon and celebrate. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid blog.... I know I replied to you!!! It's gone.

      I love that we are all criss-crossing and have this wonderful rhythm -- a global rhythm...

      Beyond breast cancer, INDEED...

      xoxox

      Delete
  8. I feel so close to you all. You really put it into words Anne-Marie. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martine!

      So difficult to grasp what I know we are all feeling!!

      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Truly spooky, but in the nicest way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right????!!! As I poked around (remembering at ALL times I am truly "challenged" to stay on task), I recall shaking my head in disbelief more than once!

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!