Monday, August 27, 2012

CELEBRATE THE ORDINARY - DAY TWO

As the summer winds to a close, I realize how wistful I become when the dog days of August give way to those first days in September.  Days begin to get shorter.  This beautiful scene, bursting with color and serenity will soon be dull and drab.

This day and for the next several weeks, I want to enjoy every moment I can drinking in the splendor of summer, my favorite season......... I love the warmth of the sun.  I love the splash of color and I love these flowers more than any other in my little slice of paradise.

Those bougainvillea (there is a sister plant on the other side of the pool) will have to be brought to a greenhouse to survive the New York winter.  And, I might add... those plants are the pride and joy of my gardening endeavors.

I purchased them in May.  One of them nearly dropped all of its leaves and the other stopped flowering completely.  I got a little advice from the elderly Italian man whom I hope will agree to "babysit" these plants for the winter.  A bit of topsoil, water (even though they like to be very dry) and a careful feeding.  "The leaves, they make-a da flowers"  and they sure do!  The fact that I was able to coax the leaves to "make-a da flowers" is a lesson.  Somewhere in there.  Definitely, a lesson.



I suspect these little fellas may be providing a bit of help.... and they really ain't so little!


Kudos to Marie (whose blog is JOURNEYING Beyond Breast Cancer - NOT Journey - for throwing down a challenge that's spreading like wildfire).  Check the blogroll..... Go to her Facebook page.....

I think some of us were beginning to burn out.  What a way to rejuvenate!





17 comments:

  1. The bougainvillea look gorgeous, up close and at a distance. Enjoy these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine. I just uploaded the photos from my phone thanks to this challenge. The NBCC pictures were on the phone and there is a photo of the two of us. I will send it to you.

      If not for the fact that I can't walk out the door at ANY TIME of the day without getting five mosquito bites inside of a moment, I'd be enjoying them far more. Elderly woman up here died of West Nile last week. I know I'm being ridiculous but I hate the damn OFF and the only one that seems to work is the one with DEET. Ho Hum.....

      Delete
  2. first of all ... your pool is so clean!!! We had a dust storm, so ours not so much :-)
    I love all these pictures of our "real" worlds, our flowers and trees. Fascinating reminder that as close as we all are, entire continents stretch between some of us. LIke the beautiful bougainvillea ... seriously, it grows like a weed around here, and I take it for granted. Now,when I see one this color, I'll think of yours making it through the winter in a greenhouse.
    "See" you later for Day Three. I'm always behind on these challenges!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm late on mine, too.... The pool..... maintenance free... "salt filtration system" (the salt is the chlorine so no way to run out of chemicals!) and the little polaris vac keep the water pristine! I just dump the skimmer baskets (not for the faint of heart).

      Yes... the photos are such a beautiful way of connecting the dots!

      xoxox

      Delete
  3. Magnificent plant! I love the color, and you are right: that bee is HUGE! Love the pool, too. I myself notice the days getting shorter, and I really hate that most about winter -- even more than the Chicago cold. I'm glad the challenge that Marie has put down is giving us a chance to rejuvenate. I was getting burned out myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I tell you the photo doesn't even do JUSTICE to the true vibrance of that color. It almost looks like velvet!

      BIG hugs, Beth.... you haven't had an easy go of it these past many, MANY weeks..... We are here. I am here..... don't ever forget that!

      xoxox

      Delete
  4. Beautifull AnneMarie!

    I have found the flower of my dream this year, it is called a Mandevilla, it is my second preferred plant I loooove, right after the Bougainvillea. Will post pict on my blog soon.

    You are right to be scare of the Nil Virus, there is a lot, may I suggest you the "Great Outdoor -WATKIN". The smell is better and it is widely used by golfers and it is efficient, now, when I travel this is the one I bring with me.

    Take care,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne!

      I love Mandevilla, too... I think it means I must move south where I can enjoy these flowers year round!

      The concluding photo piece to this challenge....... I think you can guess what it will be.....

      Big Hugs...

      xoxox

      Delete
  5. Well I'll be damned! That picture just needs a couple of girls with margaritas.

    You know what's funny...I'm actually SURPRISED we wrote the same thing! LOL

    Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love me my bougainvillea! We have them all year here. They have to be happy or they will not flower... kinda like people! ;-) Love your bee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love YOUR bee, too! Bee on the lookout.... tonight's post.... 11:30 eastern.... serendipity!

      If they need to be happy, then I did a good job. I swear they were all filled with flowers when I got them and then they looked horrible! I guess I have a happy yard!

      Delete
  7. I just love bougainvillea, AnneMarie. I so wish we could have grown them by our pool, but our weather was inhospitable to such Mediterranean splendors. Instead we opted for lilacs and wisteria. I also love the sync with the bee posts. Thanks for your lovely photos. They made my day. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      Marie sure did it again. She has us humming.

      xoxox

      Delete
  8. Bumble bees are my favorite. (Had to say it--that bee is gorgeous.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bee IS gorgeous and out there every day! My five year old niece (I ADORE this baby) watches it and analyzes, "It's a girl bee. They bite. No, it's a boy bee. Do they bite?"

      Delete
    2. I think it's safe to tell her that unless she's mean to the bumbles, she need never fear their sting.

      I pick them up off my mint and sunflowers to show the neighbor kids (but really, it's because I love the vibration and the feel of their tiny little feet on my hand).

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!