Monday, June 18, 2012

WHAT I LEARNED FROM MY DAD

Yesterday was father's day and I MISS my dad.  Lots and lots.  Five years ago, we were on a parallel journey of sorts.  As I was on chemo and heading for more surgery, he too was in and out of surgery and ultimately on chemo, too.  Five years ago, my dad died.  It was July.  On the fourth anniversary of his death, I launched this blog.

This is a rough month for my family.  It starts with father's day.  Actually, the week before father's day, seems to always be "Awards Night" at the high school from which my brother's kids graduated.  After dad died, we set up a scholarship in his memory.  The emotions begin just before father's day when we present the award.  THEN, Father's Day.

And then, his birthday:  July 3rd.  And then, July 19th, the day he died.  Tons of emotions crammed into one month.  I suspect it wouldn't be easier if these dates were spread out but I barely catch my breath from one sad reminder and the next one is upon me.  I know my mom's heart is broken and I know she reads this blog every day.  I hate that she is going to read this and be reminded.  AS IF she isn't reminded every second of every.single.day.  Some days, I just wish you weren't reading, mom......  I love you.....

I couldn't let the day go by without acknowledging it and sharing my feelings here.  So much of what drives me is my dad. I spent lots of time with my mom in the weeks after his death going through his exceptionally organized and meticulous file cabinets.  He was an attorney.  And he did so much for so many, quietly, behind the scenes, without ANYONE ever knowing.... It was after he died, when we were looking through decades of records that we saw how many people he assisted, "pro bono" .....  And that was the selflessness that was my dad.....

He lived every moment of his life guided by one simple concept:  Do the right thing.  And he did.  Always.  Mostly without anyone even knowing.  He was never motivated by an agenda.  He didn't step up for the "glory" of recognition.  He just did. Because that's what you do.

My dad was admired by many, respected by many more and LOVED by all.  Today, and every day, he is missed.

I've "met" many people in the past eleven months and I have people I consider to be friends all over the world.  From the people who are geographically right here, to those I've met who live clear across the country and to those I've only met in the blog world or on twitter, these are all real friends.  Very real friends.  Pure and sincere people who have steadied me when I faltered, who have picked my up when I was falling, who helped balance me when life made me dizzy.  And people whose absolute kindness and support have, at times, brought tears to my eyes.

Back in November, I found that Erik remembered us at an event in Colorado:

  

And this past Friday?  Joanne who lives in the UK...... blogged about her participation in the Race for Life and I saw this photo in the blog post:



There are simply no words to describe how touched I am to see things like this.....  They bring tears to my eyes.  Things like these remind me of my dad.....  Selfless.  Considerate.  Kind.  Supportive.  Loving.

How does one say thank you?  The only way I know how.....  Pay it forward.  And I shall.  Stay tuned.  

My commitment is to give voice to the METAvivors.  One day a week, I will be writing about Metastatic Breast Cancer.  It's still unfolding in my mind but in memory of those who died and in solidarity with those who are forgotten and ignored, I'm opening my big mouth......

Donna was eloquent in her impassioned plea and reminded me that those of us who can, should.

I can.

And I will.

Because, as my dad would tell me if he were here:

It's the right thing to do.  



12 comments:

  1. Yes, Anne, I read your blog every day. It is a very tough time for me, especially when I have so many doctor appointments, tests & scans to be done. Dad was my rock and was with me through it all, because IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO, & in my heart I know how much he loved all of us. What you are doing is also THE RIGHT THING TO DO.
    Love you, Mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid cancer. Stupid F'ing Cancer (which is the name of a group.....young survivors)..... It's a big life interruption..... Everything about it sucks. I love you, mom.

      Delete
  2. AnneMarie,

    This posting made me cry. I'm so sorry about your father and all the dates that come in short waves to remind you of your grief. I think it's wonderful that your mom reads your blog every day. She is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. And yes, the short waves aren't easy. The worst part of all? He was fine-truly the picture of excellent health. And seven months later, he was gone. It was tragic and unexpected. All of his health issues were addressed. Most recently, I sat in the parking lot of the hospital where he died and sobbed like a baby. It was late at night and I was on my way home from my friend's home which happens to be blocks away.

      As for my mom... she is the best!

      Love to you...
      xoxox

      Delete
  3. What evocative thoughts for anyone who had a meaningful relationship with their father. I lost my dad in 2010, though I did not watch him go through the kind of crises that you did with your dad. I hope the fond memories that you have of your relationship bring you some joy and laughter as you think back of the times you spent together. I know that's what I cherish in the memories I carry in my heart. Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Donna.... I am so thankful that we have boatloads of memories and they do carry me through. He has provided each of us (we are five kids) with an excellent "life roadmap" and I'm grateful for that legacy. It has passed through to my own kids and to my nieces and nephews, too. He was larger than life.

      As for you, my dear friend.... I'm in..... as I said on your blog... I am in. Whatever needs to be done.... I'm there....

      Much love...

      Delete
  4. Ann Marie, Thanks for "letting us in" and allowing us to "know" your dad just a bit. I'm sorry for your loss. As you know, I lost my mom to breast cancer, but my dad is still around and pretty darn feisty yet at that. When we lose a parent in our adulthood, society tells us we are supposed to be ready. I even wrote a post by that title. But of course, we are not ready. Not even close. The void they leave behind is huge. I'm grateful for all my memories of my mom and I know you cherish your memories of your dad as well. Love lasts forever. There's much comfort in that. Thanks for the poignant post.

    Hugs to you. And to your mom too if she's reading through comments again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nancy for always baring your soul, too. I know we both walk those fine lines (especially with the "big kids" whose privacy we try to respect as we blog!) but you are always so honest with your feelings. I know how much you miss you mom. I know those dates are etched and I was so happy to see the pictures of your daughter's wedding. I'm glad there is now something beautiful attached to a significant date.

      Big hugs to you.... and I'll be sure mom gets your hugs, too...

      xoxox

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful tribute to your family.
    Thanks to you also for your friendship. I have downloaded your blog profile and added it to my small album of Cancer Supporters in the photos on my phone. Any time a tough treatment or appointment comes up, there you are.
    Hugs - Kel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kel,
      I am touched by your words and will always be at your side.
      xoxox

      Delete
  6. My dad died suddenly on August 1, 1998, three weeks after he attended my 50th wedding anniversary. I talked to him; he said he was fine; I asked him to call me back after breakfast. He didn't. I called. He didn't answer. I went to his house and found him dead and already cold. It was less than an hour after I talked to him. I'm still not over the fact that I wasn't there when he died. I doubt if I will ever get over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lois,
      I was with my dad the entire afternoon the day he died. My mom spent the night at his bedside in the emergency room. No beds in the hospital. He was weak from the second round of "precautionary" chemo. It took me a VERY long time to stop blaming myself as I was the one who coordinated the medical team, treatments etc. I think that is how and why I found myself in the hospital parking lot just a few months ago ... sobbing. My dad coded in the ER on a gurney. They spent the next five hours trying to save his life. I OFTEN question if they had taken better care of him in the 24 hours prior, would this have happened?

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!