Friday, June 1, 2012

PINK RIBBONS INC : LONG AWAITED **AND** WELL WORTH THE WAIT

It's HERE.  Long awaited and, in my opinion, well worth the wait, Pink Ribbons Inc. is officially in a wide release.  The words on the poster say it all.

"It's Time To Take OUR Ribbon Back!"


In NYC, it is playing at the IFC Center on West 3rd Street.  It opens today, June 1st and is scheduled to play through June 5th.  There are four showings daily.  TWENTY opportunities to get to NYC and see the film.  I promise, you will not be disappointed.

This is a list of cities and dates continually updated by the First Run Features.  They are distributing the film in the US.

Pink Ribbons Inc. has been reviewed by a number of different people.  Variety reviewed the film in September when it was only being shown in Canada.  There are a whole host of reviews from which to choose. The most recent review appeared in Salon.  Written by Mary Elizabeth Williams it is aptly titled, "The Tyranny of Pink."  Why the need for all of the review links?  Don't take my word for it.  I DO have an agenda.  Instead, I'd much prefer you listen to what others who have far more street cred in that Siskel and Ebert kinda way are saying.

I am writing this post on Wednesday evening.  By Friday morning, there will either be a link to a radio show OR, I will still be in a bar drinking with the finance crowd after exiting the radio studios which are down in that neck of the woods.  I was asked to do a short radio interview about Pink Ribbons Inc. as a volunteer for Breast Cancer Action.

It dawns upon me as I wait with anticipatory nerves, WTF were you thinking, sistah???  Having a microphone with an audience of women to discuss the movie was one thing.  Doing an interview which was shot a couple of times and then edited for the Visible Ink promotional video was another thing.


BUT LIVE RADIO???  As you can see, there are lots of OTHER things scheduled for Thursday.  As you can also see, my name is in bold blue letters AS IF......  It's a two hour show, ergo, the interview will be quick.  Samantha King, the author of the book upon which the movie is based will be participating in the interview.  So will Ravida Din, the producer of Pink Ribbons Inc.  And me.  Hoping my chemobrain takes a vacation for the day so I don't lose my train of thought.  Hoping that I am not intimidated by these highly accomplished people.  Maybe, I will just interject with an occasional, "Absolutely" or "Pinkwashing" or "Crippled the progress"  .....  "Download the toolkit"  "Breast Cancer Action"

Hell, I'm just a blogger.... and this blog is supposed to be a joke.

If there's a link to the interview anywhere on this blog, I did it.  And I held my own.  If not, you can safely presume the weekend started on Thursday at approximately 1PM and it may continue right through Sunday night.  You can also assume it involved lots of tequila as that seems to work best to expunge my memory.

Yes, I am THAT nervous.

Does this count as a performance of sorts?

If so, I think I'll go break my own leg.



Post Interview Note:

I survived the interview.  Leonard Lopate and his staff at WNYC could not have been nicer!  Tequila?  Not so much.  However, and coincidentally there was an evening of fun.  It didn't involve tequila, it did involve friends and fun...... and a few cocktails, too.  Here's the tape.....



I forgot to include the link in case the player doesn't work properly.  You can listen directly on the WNYC site.  You can also read the comments, some of which I WILL address on this blog next week..... Stay tuned, rant around the corner...




12 comments:

  1. Wow, you're getting famous! Good for you for taking part. I will listen very soon.

    I simply cannot wait to see this movie. Also worth mentioning is the fact that Breast Cancer Action is working on getting some DVD's made available, so those of us not living in close proximity to theaters showing it can also see it. One way or another, I definitely plan to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The DVD's will be available in mid-September if my information is accurate.

      Famous? Ha! We are a passionate group and I'm proud to be adding my voice in the hopes that we WILL change the conversation. Proud to be standing beside you, my friend...

      xoxox

      Delete
  2. AnneMarie, just listened to the whole show. You and Samantha and Ravida were absolutely phenomenal! I had no idea that American Express -- or Yoplait -- gave back so little after capitalizing on Pink Ribbon advertising. And I think it was absolutely outstanding that Breast Cancer Action took a stand with KFC with "What the Cluck" and got Yoplait to stop using rbst in their milk. It was so great to hear your voice, too! You're one articulate chick. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idelle,

      Thank you so much. Breast Cancer Action was also instrumental in the reformulation of that Promise Me Perfume which was a real joke since we all know that chemo patients are highly sensitive to smell. For Komen to be told from a "watchdog" organization that there were suspected carcinogens IN THE PERFUME? If it weren't so pathetic, it would be funny....

      Delete
  3. I haven't listened yet, will later but I wanted to say hi. Saw your comment on the Big C and me. I have a "CATSTIR" section on my blog. (refuse to fuel the word). now, I'm hoping for rain, so I can hop a train into the city... Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renn rocks!!! And a big Hi to you, too. Thanks for letting me know you popped over......Going to check out your blog now!

      Delete
  4. AM, I'm so proud of you! You were all so articulate. And kudos to the station for interviewing you all. I discovered a few weeks ago that the film will be shown in Boston very soon, and I will be there will bells on. I also offered help to BCA with the showing in whatever fashion I can. I'm at least planning to haul my friends with me. I'm very excited that they will be making DVD's available. I have plans for those, believe you me.

    xoxoxoxo, Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathi....
      I was thrilled to be asked by one of the girls who works on that show how she can join BCA! I wanted to bring voice to the mets patients which I hope I accomplished....
      xoxoxox

      Delete
  5. Wow, I am so impressed, AnneMarie! I first found out about this by reading Renn's blog post on the subject. After reading your comment to Renn's post about the radio interview, I had to go visit yours. You are a celebrity, a real force with which people must wrestle if they think pink is the answer. I wouldn't want to be on the other side of your advocacy! You go, sistah. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Jan....
      You are always so encouraging..... Thank you.... Really glad I didn't mess up...

      xoxox

      Delete
  6. You were AWESOME!! You are a rock star. I'm so proud of all you are doing to enlighten the world. Keep on keeping on....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth!!..... Yesterday, I had an "Audrey Hepburn Breakfast At Tiffany's" moment. Was fun.... More on that another time.

      Yes.... As long as there is work to do... I'll be opening my mouth .... hopefully respectfully and mindful that we all have worthy and valid points of view....

      xoxo

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!