Wednesday, December 4, 2013

THANKS @FDAWOMEN FOR MORE INFO ON BIOIDENTICALS

Yesterday, I wrote a piece about bioidentical hormones and the main theme was to point out that we are being sold what is commonly referred to as a "bill of goods."  These are the same people who sell the Brooklyn Bridge on a daily basis.

The important message in the MORE Magazine article concerned the findings of the analyzed compounds and how they can be doing serious harm to otherwise healthy women.  As a breast cancer patient, still on an aromitase inhibitor, my oncologist would think I lost my mind if I suggested ANY form of estrogen when my maintenance medication which is hopefully doing its job is to stop ALL sources of estrogen.  It has been said, this part of the treatment may be more important than the chemotherapy.

If there is science to back that up, I don't have it handy and I don't want to go digging right now.  I'm in the midst of a small group health insurance renewal.  The deadline is looming.

The FDA was KIND enough to reply to a tweet I sent with links to information on their website.

The information on the FDA site is thorough and very easy to understand.  It's written in Q&A format.  If my post wasn't clear or even if it was, it's always best to get the information from the source.  I'm going to read it now to see what, if anything, patient advocates can and/or should be doing to help the FDA.  Yes, I DID say that because YES, lives are on the line and NO, I'm not being overly dramatic.

If I'm going to be a lab rat or a guinea pig, I'd like properly executed informed consent forms.  I think that's a good start.


Like it?  Share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to add? Do Share!