Thursday, December 12, 2013

SORTING IT ALL OUT - HEADLINES AND HYPE

The San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium continues through today and the official closing is tomorrow morning.  I've been glued to a twitter feed for days.  I've left the house to run errands (barely) and I've managed to maintain my weekly exercise/yoga routine (essential).  Aside from that, I'm walking around with a laptop in one hand as I prepare food or do anything else.  Including when I jump in the shower.  The laptop stays out, but it's there for me to read as I'm wrapped in a towel.  Here's where a shout out to the young man in the Apple Store is in order.  I just replaced my laptop and he convinced me to get a MacBook Air.  I can cradle it in my left arm as I'm doing other things.  I think my phone may be heavier.

Have I learned anything?  Yes.  Themes are emerging, headlines are being splashed, studies are being hyped and my head is spinning trying to decipher all of it in ways that I can understand.  Over diagnosis and over treatment was big on Tuesday. This has been a topic of conversation for months.  I found a good video which (if I recall) was a fair (as in even-handed) assessment taking all sides into consideration.  My take away.  We can cease and desist in perfecting imaging techniques. When mammography works, it really works well and when it doesn't do such a great job, perfecting it further won't really help those whose cancers are hard to see on mammography.  Enough with this need for earlier and earlier detection.  We got the early detection part down, we need to get to the biology of the tumors, to find ways to interrupt metastasis, prevent metastasis, prevent the disease altogether.

And that's where the splashy headlines began.  Anastrozole.  The doctors and researchers tweet using the chemical names.  To you and me, that's arimidex.  The headline in ASCO Post reads,

In English?  There was a 2% difference between the two groups of women, those who took the real stuff and those who received a placebo.  Since 2% of the women taking arimidex were diagnosed with cancer and a whopping 4% of those taking nothing were diagnosed with cancer, there's your 50%.  Are you still with me on that?  What does it really mean when you cut your risk in half?  Line up ten women.  Do nothing, four of them will get cancer.  Do something and just two of them will get cancer.  That is a "statistical significance" which results in the aforementioned ACCURATE, yet horrible headline.  Not really a fan.  The side effects were discounted by the presenter who claimed they believed that 90% of the complaints were not related the to drug.  Something was said about the dangers of the other already approved risk reducing drugs (tamoxifen) in comparison to arimidex.  There are dangers and risks associated with both drugs.  Period.  The End.  There are side effects and the joint pain is real.  Period.  The End.  And the presenting doctor is on the speaker's bureau for Astra Zeneca who was one of the funding sources for the study.  Period.  The End.  Bottom line?  Until the presentation, all presentations, are peer-reviewed, they are merely presentations.  The full research findings, not just the slides with the great looking graphs, must be reviewed.  Then, a more accurate assessment will be shared.  And, if I have access to it, I'll likely find something that merits mentioning.  Especially when the presentation was so dismissive of the side effects.

The last presentation yesterday afternoon was one that was of great interest to me.  The presentation was about the use of bisphosphonates for patients with early stage disease to prevent recurrence and death.  Specifically, they looked at an oral medication that is not approved for use in the US (but is used in Europe) and zometa, which is an IV administered drug that is approved for use in metastatic patients.  The numbers were impressive.  The benefit of adding this to was equal to that seen with chemotherapy. They looked at thousands of women in over 20 different studies and combined all of the information.  After analyzing the information, it appears post menopausal women (naturally, surgically or due to ovarian suppression) will likely see a new standard of care within a year from what the play by play doctors had to say.  Again, this must go through the peer review process before there will be a change.  It is not approved for use in this setting.  It is, however, used for the treatment of osteopenia and osteoporosis.  I am six years post treatment but I also have six years of bone loss from the femara I have been taking.  I just had a bone density test.  I had osteopenia in 2006 when my base line bone density was done.  It has gotten worse on all subsequent tests.  Although no medication is without side effects, this is something I may discuss with my doctor.  Unfortunately (for him), I will be doing this during my MOM's monthly appointment next week.  After he finishes reading scans, I'm going to harass him.  And I'm certain by the time next Friday rolls around, he will have been harassed by enough women that I'll get a canned answer.  Wouldn't you all like to be the fly on the wall for that?? Joking aside, I know I won't get a canned answer, I will make my own appointment to review everything and make an informed decision weighing the benefits against the risks because that is what it means to be engaged in one's own medical care.  As of now, there's still no story by Reuters or the AP or any other news outlet weighing in with a Hyped Headline but I'll add a link when I see the first one.  I'm a bit surprised it's taking this long.  That was a pretty big deal, was big buzz.  Go Figure.

The most thrilling moment of the day came later in the evening.  Each day, there are mentor sessions. A panel of exceptional doctors is assembled to discuss the daily presentations with the advocates.  Thanks to the Alamo Breast Cancer Foundation, the mentor session was streamed live.  It was the very first time they ever did that.  Does it sound weird for me to say that I was as excited as a kid in a toy store?  I hit the link, found Lori @regrounding, couldn't find the link for the live feed.  It gave us a few moments to catch up.  We were tweeting buddies in San Antonio last year.  Roommates at every conference we attended together and with Jody @jodyms, we were running around San Antonio just twelve months ago.  When we located the feed and saw the familiar table of panelists, I felt like I was at one of the advocate seats.  Technology!  I had a question about that zometa study and I knew another buddy was in that room.  I sent her a tweet, asked her if she would ask a question for me.  The very last question they took was from Terry Arnold.  Terry is the founder of The IBC Network Foundation.  Inflammatory Breast Cancer.  Never heard of it?  Poke around Terry's site.  For the first time ever, there was an entire session dedicated to the discussion of IBC.  Terry stood at the microphone and said she had a question from New York.  My question.  And that was pretty damn cool.  Even the panel was amused.  And Karuna, from Breast Cancer Action who was also in the room, and at the microphone asking the hard questions, sent me a message to let me know they were cheering from far far away.  Yes, technology. Some awesome stuff there.

And THAT brought back a flood of memories, of San Antonio 2012, of dinner on The Riverwalk with Jody, me, Lori, Karuna and Gayle.


Tomorrow?  There is a crisis that is not being discussed in San Antonio in the form of a report that was released just yesterday by the World Health Organization.  And there is a mental health crisis in this country, too.  When government representatives attempt to do something for this community, people really must sit up and LISTEN.  More tomorrow.....

Like it?  Share it!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for this report. Nobody sorts stuff out like you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, thanks, Nancy. I have had my laptop glued to my arm for the whole week. There were SO many presentations I couldn't figure out what to share. Without the slides, or the abstracts, I hesitate because I don't want to share misinformation. Will be anxious to see the peer-reviews. That could take months. I know that one of my assignments from last year when I attended was on radiation therapy in the operating room. It only JUST hit the news a few months ago!

      My brain is fried!

      AnneMarie

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for writing all of this up, it's fascinating info and a great recap for those of us who can't get to the summit or aren't as up to date on it. Fascinating stuff. The whole Arimidex thing is confusing for me. My oncologist switched me to it after I'd been on tamoxifen for 2 years and after only 2 weeks I had such crazy joint pain that I felt like an 80 year old woman. I called him, asked if we could discuss, he said go off it for a week and then come in. The joint pain went away about 2 days after the last pill of Arimidex. So he said let's get you back on Tamoxifen. End of story, I really like my oncologist who is very collaborative. My reading also told me it was only about 4-5% more effective than Tamoxifen, if that, so glad to have you/your recap of the summit validate that for me. Also, the whole mammogram thing is a huge issue. My breasts are so dense that mammograms never showed anything and I always had ultrasounds in addition to mammograms, and eventually even then had to have an MRI which showed an additional tumor that didn't show up right away.

    And...on another note, you just reinforced my decision to get a Mac Air as I'm just about to get a new laptop - thanks for the positive feedback on it :) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the MacAir. Neither laptop has a CD drive (which confused the hell out of me but lots of software is now being sold on flash drives). That was a sticking point until they removed the drive from the regular Mac Books...

      As for the Arimidex.... the presenting doctor was so damn dismissive of the side effects it was very annoying. Since they must disclose their affiliations and financial attachments to their presentations, it seemed to me he had a definite agenda. Cliff Hudis said it best during the mentor session when he said he'd seen plenty of abstracts that didn't quite look the same as the presentations when they hit the peer reviewed journals. It's so important to understand they are simply findings until other researchers pore through the studies....

      And, I like your oncologist, too! The theme this morning was about survivorship and one of the doctors was sending out tweets about the importance of listening to their patients. We need to get this into the main stream of treatment. We shouldn't be afraid to share what's happening, we have to stop thinking we are being pests or "it's not a big deal" ... because, if the same issue is happening to many (or most), it IS a big deal and without our input, no one would ever know.

      Have a great weekend!

      AnneMarie

      Delete
  3. Thank you, AM. I was really annoyed about that anastrozole headline. My mother died of osteoporosis -- she didn't even have cancer!! -- but many people don't even know that osteoporosis all by itself can be a killer. So, I get really irked when the side effects of anti-hormone drugs are brushed off. And when there's more hype than balance or details about reporting on research. Big hugs to you & your mom. xoxo, Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathi....
      I was trying to be so careful with the twitter feed, paying attention to the doctors I know I can trust. The minute this study was presented, Reuters, AP, NBC News all had their stories ready. There was lots of use of the word prevent which drove me over the edge. As IF. Add the fact that the side effects of the AI's are no joke and the bone loss is a big deal. It's well known and I suppose what is NOT well known is how dangerous osteoporosis is....
      Hugs to you, too...
      xoxox

      Delete
  4. Thanks AM, where is this fog of which you speak? That was very clear and very helpful. I saw the Arimidex article, but missed the bone stuff. I really didn't like how they pooh-poohed the SE's of these meds. I thought the guy responding in the Lancet was more measured and reasonable. Having said that, I'll keep taking mine, although my joints are achy. The bone stuff is interesting. I finished chemo two years ago and my oncologist suggested 3 years of zometa, every 6 months for its bone and small anti-mets components, and I had my bone density last week. After 3 zometa tx and two years, it seems my bone density has improved. I'll know for sure on Tuesday when I see my oncologist for my 4th zometa. Although I am just a sample of 1, seems to have some benefit for me. Zometa seems to be used in Switzerland regularly on postmenopausal, women even w/o mets. Osteoporosis is really tough - my nearly 90 year old aunt has it and it limits her so much - she'd be out and about but for this - it's just awful. Well, I'm off to celebrate the life of a friend who's left us due to bc and it's such a loss. Blah. But, wishing the the best for you and your mom! Happy holidays and thanks for keeping us informed. <3 Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I am so sorry about your friend. SO SORRY.

      The dosing is exactly how you describe, infusion every six months. Your results are in line with what was presented. I guess "prevention of disease" no matter how skewed, beats out strong bones and prevention of mets and DEATH. Glad to know someone who used this in conjunction with an AI. More ammunition when I attack my poor oncologist during my mom's appointment!!

      <3 <3 <3
      AM

      Delete
  5. Thank you for pulling this together, being there, being aware. Really appreciate it. P.S. MacBook Air fan here too. Amazing to work/travel with. Our shoulders/backs are happier methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your excellent report.
    I, too, get really irked when they brush aside side effects, and downplay the ones they admit like we are just a bunch of whiners. I am on femara, hate the side effects, but it is doable. Tried Arimedex first, had major nonstop hot-flashes, dizziness, heart palpitations, blood-pressure spikes, nonstop diarrhea, and when the "bone aching" started, I could not even get out of bed even though I was on pain meds. With femara, the diarrhea is only when I first get up, my blood pressure and heart--rate went up somewhat, but are stable, and the aching is bearable on a prescription NSAID. Oh, and the hot-flashes are milder and much fewer. Both caused insomnia so I am now on sleeping pills, too. Faslodex has been added, too, now. I wish sometimes that the people who research the side effects had to take these things themselves for a while.
    When starting AIs, my oncologist immediately started me on calcium and vitamin D for my bones and told me to get any invasive dental work done so he can add denasaub (not sure if I spelled that right), both to strengthen bones and fight bone mets recurrence. My GP immediately put me on fish oil (with my oncologist permission) because she said AIs sometimes raise cholesterol and she wanted to prevent me being on meds for that, dentist has me using special toothpaste because they cause dry mouth, eye doctor has me using special eye drops........and these experts have the nerve to say "90% of complaints are not related to the drug." Too many of these "complaints" are measurable effects totally out of the patient's control.
    Elizabeth J.

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Do Share!