Thursday, December 5, 2013

BREAST CANCER TWEETS, AN OBSERVATION

Social media can bring down empires or it can be the best way to disseminate information quickly.  Twitter, used responsibly, is a communication tool that allows one to find information in real time and  to make connections that were previously unlikely. For information sharing, it's my preferred tool.

A few weeks ago, I began to follow what people were saying about breast cancer.  I refined the stream so I could watch the tweets.  It was a bit upsetting to see the amount of misinformation being shared.  Snake oil, in some cases.  In others, there may be peer reviewed studies to back up the claims but the sound-bites were pulled out of context creating sensationalism.

I've removed the twitter handles (the names) of those who posted, but this is a sampling of what I saw in one 24 hour period.

Note, the orgasm thing has been retweeted the most which I'm sure comes as no surprise.

Dr. Oz is doing a show (or did a show) on the cell phone in the bra which may or may not have merit.  I didn't research the information.

And the abortion thing is big, too.  A study out of China has just hit the US media and until I read the entire study or have one of my trusted sources (i.e. a doctor I know) opine that this has a high degree of certainty, I'm out on that.

As for watercress, seaweed, iodine and prevention, Show Me The Data... where are the results of a few rigorous clinical trials?  None?  OK then... these are simply observations and opinions until someone proves otherwise.

My message:  Use The Internet Responsibly.  Oh, and the breast cancer news.... if it's tweeted using #bcsm, that hashtag is watched by many and no snake oil is sold in those tweets.  Any and all attempts to share inaccurate info are quickly questioned by someone in the community which does include some of the finest oncologists in the world.  And one rock star breast surgeon who co-moderates the chats, Dr. Deanna Attai.

A sampling.. and bear in mind, some of these may be true, but they are highly exaggerated or only tell part of the story.  The 1.3 million "misdiagnosed" women tweet, for example is the DCIS debate.  And there you go.....

I didn’t know if you had breast cancer they cut yo whole breast off , I thought they just remove the tumor .hmmp😕

Sleeping with a bra on can lead to breast cancer #savethetatas

Iodine has been proven to help to cure breast cancer! bit.ly/IodineandCancer

To all the girls who use there bra as a pocket for their phones have fun with breast cancer

Obamacare Excluded MAMMOGRAMS & BANS Breast Cancer Rx, AVASTIN - #tcot #cnn #ccot #npr #ocra #nytimes #rush #aarp ==> is.gd/C87ScZ

Are there any scientifically proven ways to prevent breast cancer? trib.al/Crxs1QL #breastcancer

Cell phone radiation breast #cancer link - New study raises grave concerns buff.ly/18TqqJi

sleep deprivation increases the risk for breast cancer and stroke #YourWelcome

Watercress Found to Block Breast Cancer Cell Growth naturalsociety.com/watercress-blo… via @naturalsociety

When I first started getting boobs I didn't know what they were and I got scared and told my mom that I had breast cancer.

Cholesterol 'fuels' breast cancer  bit.ly/1akCEH2

Fact: Orgasms can lower a woman's risk ofheart disease, stroke, breast cancer, and depression.

Bacon increases the risk of getting breast cancer 😕

Attention Deodorant Users: New Studies Link Aluminum To Breast Cancer collective-evolution.com/2013/09/14/att… via @CollectiveEvol

This deodorant my mom got me has aluminum in it. Mr Pitts specifically told me that it'll give me breast cancer..

Apparently you get breast cancer (or something like that) if you wear bras with wires idek

Squeezing your boobs could prevent breast cancer ladies !

Abortion Nearly Triples Breast Cancer Risk, New Study Finds lifenews.com/2011/11/28/abo… via @StevenErtelt

If you use Dial Soap or Dial Complete Read This: Triclosan and Triclocarban breastcancerfund.org/clear-science/

Abortion Has Caused 300K Breast Cancer Deaths Since Roe lifenews.com/2011/01/17/abo… (harvest breast cancer quotes)

Eating 2 or more weekly servings of peaches or nectarines can lower risk of ER- breast cancer by 41%. Go organic! #bcprevention

Did you know antibiotics are linked to breast cancer?

GMO soybeans are contributing to the epidemic levels of breast cancer.  greenmedinfo.com/blog/breaking-….  There is a Roundup-Breast Cancer link!

Orgasms can lower a woman's risk of heart disease, breast cancer, stroke and depression..

Studies confirm that regular physical exercise is able to reduce the risk of breast cancer in a percentage between 20 and 80%.

Hormones Protect Against Breast Cancer - According to Barbara Minton, Editor for Alignlife.comalignlife.com/articles/women

It has been shown that long term use of contraceptives (pill)  associated with increased risk of breast cancer.

there is so much hope for breast cancer I'm not going to get so worry. I know she will be fine :)!

About1.3 million people in the USA population are allegedly misdiagnosed with breast cancer fitlife.tv/1-3-million-pa…

Worlds Aids day was Sunday no one said shit soon as breast cancer come y’all want me donate my money 😒

Bombshell Study Finds 44% Increased Breast Cancer Risk for Women Having Abortions bit.ly/IBvzeQ

Which Seaweed Is Most Protective Against Breast Cancer? - Care2.com bit.ly/1kbsr5o

Iodine is KEY to breast health -women w breast cancer have lower levels in their breast tissue than cancer free womenpsychologytoday.com/blog/complemen

Me Again:  As for WHY this is all a problem....  This person says they "retweet" everything.. which means they may be unknowingly perpetrating misinformation.  And that's dangerous.

I rt any and everything that got something to do with breast cancer...



Like it?  Share it!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Although the cell phone thing - there may be some truth to that. Scattered reports but enough to cause concern. Unfortunately since it's appearing on Dr. Oz that destroys any credibility - that goes for anything that appears on his show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urg. WOW. Tweets like this make me SHAKE MY HEAD...as I've thought/wondered/pondered about doing a post like this about #raredisease stuff. The things I read about #raredisease on Twitter is just as asinine. Thank you for sharing the RIGHT STUFF. I know that if/when/ I get to the point of #bcsm stuff - I feel confident of knowing trusted sources to find my info. GAH, it's 2:07 AM and I shouldn't be commenting because that comment made no sense - but I hope you know what I meant. :)

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Do Share!