Wednesday, September 5, 2012

PULL THE TRIGGER - again, again and again

Before anyone goes thinking I'm ready to off myself, let me just say I'm far too much of a chicken.  Plus, I have too much to say.  I've got a big mouth, lots of opinions and lots to do.

Yesterday, however, I found myself in a very triggering situation.  I was unprepared, which is to say, I was completely blindsided.  Back in 2006, in April to be precise, I was in the radiologist's office for my annual routine mammography and my first ever DEXA scan (bone density).  Precisely one week later, I was back in his office, for the fourth time in seven days.  I was picking up films to bring them to MSK to be reviewed by their radiologists.

One day earlier, I was sitting in his office.  He gently held my hand as he looked into my eyes with kindness and compassion.  "AnneMarie, I'm fairly certain the breast surgeon will want these things removed to make sure it's not cancer."  I don't recall how I got to my car.  I don't remember walking out of his office.  I went from "cancer" to hearing myself screaming and crying.  I called my husband and I was sitting in my car in the parking lot.  Sobbing, over and over again, "You don't understand, they KNOW what they are looking at.....  "  I couldn't calm myself to drive home.  Until I could.

The following day, I walked back into his office to retrieve all of the films (years of films) and his report.  I understood the way a radiologist evaluated their findings.  If memory serves me, it was a scale of 1 through 4.  Whatever number was the worst possible finding.... that was my number.  What? You think I sat beside my girlfriend who was my chauffeur without tearing the envelope open?  They are MY records.

It was late in the day and thankfully, I was semi-high on a percocet.  I had a small surgical thing to remove a neuroma from my foot.  Damn thing was messing with my shoe fetish.  IT HAD TO GO.  A neuroma is a type of harmless tumor. Harmless, unless of course, you can't wear the fabulous shoes in your closet.  I had two choices.  Replace my shoe wardrobe with practical, comfortable FLAT shoes (or live in flip flops which doesn't really work in a NY winter) OR have the neuroma removed.  I chose the latter.  Redundant information as my thing for shoes is well established.  One of my favorite quotes is the one about giving the girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world.  The right shoes matter.

Thanks to HIPAA, I would have to walk in to retrieve the films we would be transporting despite the fact that my foot was just opened and closed in an operating room.  HIPAA rules supreme.  We pulled up to a side entrance of this rather large medical building.  The office, thankfully, was the very first door inside that particular entrance.  I hobbled, my foot in a boot, steadied by crutches and my friend who had to control everything.  I was wobbly from the foot, wobbly from the anesthesia, wobbly from the percocet and VERY wobbly knowing we would be driving to Sloan Kettering.  Admit it. NOTHING screams "CANCER!" quite like "Sloan Kettering."  Percocet on an empty stomach transformed the shrill scream into a dull roar.

I was already familiar (and exceptionally impressed) with the inner workings of MSK.  Ironically, my knowledge of MSK was because of this friend...... the friend who helped me up the two steps and helped me move my legs so they would transport me to the desk so I could sign for my records.  It was this very same friend who had her throat sliced from ear to ear less than two months prior to remove her cancerous thyroid.  And it wasn't the "good" thyroid cancer.  It wasn't the BAD thyroid cancer. It was the very RARE thyroid cancer.

Again, you know me well enough to know I use the word "good" with a heavy dose of sarcasm.  In a digital world, someone needs to work on a universal sarcasm font.  It would save me lots of time explaining I am being sarcastic.  Plus, sarcasm loses its sarcastic value when it has to be explained.

Yesterday, I had to meet with an oral surgeon.  As I circled the parking lot and settled on a space, it wasn't until I approached the door did I realize, "This is the building.  THIS IS THE DOOR."  I began to tremble.  I couldn't control it if I tried.  The radiologist has since moved and I walked past his door which was free of any tag to indicate the suite number or the name of the occupant.  I began to swallow my tears.  REALLY???

It was over six years ago and the simple act of walking up those two small steps through that doorway triggered a flashback.  I'm not sure I have PTSD but damn if it didn't feel like an episode.  I walked the long hallway, my eyes filled with tears until I arrived in the main lobby area.  I took the elevator up to his office.  Dental chairs are another triggering thing but that pales in comparison to what was about to happen.

The surgeon came into the room almost immediately.  I love offices where you are not left waiting.  I already liked this guy.  A lot.  He took a look at the X-rays that were taken by my dentist and then looked at the area of concern.  We began to talk.  Rather.  HE began to talk and I put on my best "be your own advocate" hat and listened closely.  He put the x-ray on the wall so he could explain everything and I could see what he was talking about.

I'm liking this guy more and more.  Until I heard words like temporary prosthesis, bone graft, CT scan, implants, about a year, lots of down time in between as things need to heal.  Major trigger.  I barely had time to compose myself from trauma of walking into the building and this is starting to sound like something else.  I think he sensed my angst when I began to say "I've learned NOT to ask 'what if' until ......"  And he picked up the ball and ran with it.

At this point, I'm in love with this guy.  In Love.  Basically, this is going to suck.  And, it's going to cost a bloody freakin' fortune BUT....

I have substantial bone loss in my upper left jawbone.  I have to go back to my dentist (who happens to be a genius with cosmetic dentistry even though he is "just a dentist") so he can make this temporary thing.  Then, I will go back to the surgeon to have teeth removed.  After about four months, I will have a CT scan so he can see if my sinus is behind the bone.  If it is interfering with the bone, I will need something called a sinus lift.  Then, a bone graft.  "No big deal, the bone is taken from a jar" or, "we will remove some of your lower jaw bone to fill the space." Then, the implants will go in.  They have to be in my jaw for six months before I can have the permanent teeth put on the implants.  The entire process will take about a year.  And potentially many thousands of dollars depending upon how many implants are necessary and if that sinus lift thing has to be done.

There are many X factors in the equation.  I'm going with the old adage about preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.  Nah.... I'm so done with the word HOPE.  I'm going to skip past the hope for the best part.  I'm presuming I will be dealing with the worst possible scenario.  Sinus lift, need for several implants because of the bone structure.  I'd rather be pleasantly surprised.  I seem to feel that I will be bitterly disappointed if I place even on granule of hope into this equation and we hit the bump in the road.  Hope has been drop kicked out of this by a great pair of shoes.

I hate the thought of walking around with a temporary prosthetic for an entire year.  I feel like those things are always falling out.  The oral surgeon was exceptionally sympathetic when he read my face after hearing "about a year."  The thought of running in and out of medical offices for a year is triggering me further.  He assured me there's lots of downtime with this whole thing.

And all I can think?  "Unless, of course, that temporary thing keeps coming loose.... then, there will be lots of running back and forth to the dentist.... and what happens if the thing falls out right after the dentist leaves on Saturday and no one can reattach the damn thing until Monday..... Suppose I have a party on that Sunday and the thing is not in my mouth where it belongs.... you can see the thing unless I never smile... it's the fourth tooth from the front.... why the hell is this happening..... this just sucks.... but wait, it's not cancer...... the lingo may be awfully similar..... it's a tooth"

There is option B.  Do nothing and basically wait for the left side of my face to cave in.  If shoes were a deciding factor for that foot surgery, I don't have an option B.  I kinda like my face the way it is.  And I really like to smile.
  

23 comments:

  1. AnneMarie, I worked for an Oral Surgeon, and dentisty for 18 years...I dont think I ever had a patient have any issues with treatment not working well, on the occassion, they can fail, but for the most part....it think it will go well.

    I am my own WORST dental patient! and I completely understand the anxiety that comes with it, still not easy. SO FRIGGIN sorry about your earlier apt....The words I would like to use are to explicit :/ therefore...we all know. F**K Cancer !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shannon.

      I know it will be okay at the end of the day but I swear, I was walking around in circles by the time I got home! After I spewed quite a few of those same curses (and some of the even more colorful ones I learned from my nana), I felt better!

      Hugs and love,

      AnneMarie

      Delete
  2. I have an implant and went through the year long process. Emotionally it was horrible. I couldn't deal with the fact I had lost a tooth and was walking around with a 'fake' tooth while I had a temporary. Its one of my front teeth. You have my sympathies. But you need to remember no one else can tell its an implant but you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline,

      Great point about no one knows it's an implant but me. I have a veneer on ONE front tooth. My dentist is really awesome as that is very hard to do. It's that temporary tooth thing which is actually going to span two teeth that's really bugging me..... And the noise. I'm going for anesthesia every single time....

      Thank you for sharing.... Eerily similar here... our shared experiences make the burden lighter....

      xoxox
      AnneMarie

      Delete
  3. The most important thing you have said in this post is "it's not cancer ". Hold on to that. You went through and triumphed over one of the most terrifying illnesses. This will be long and sometimes unpleasant, but your life is not in danger andyou need to focus on that. You faced your fear by walking down that hallway and opening that door. You conquered that demon and you have grown stronger from that. Think of all the great blog material this will give you! Hang in there sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb..

      Haha! Blog material for sure... :)

      I'm figuring I'm going to the extra veneers to finish off the job. If I have to do this, I want a prize at the end. The kids get stickers (or back in the day, lollypops from the DENTIST??!!?!)..... I want a bright white smile!

      xoxox

      Delete
  4. Anne, I was going to send you a private email, but as things go, I have to download something or other to get into my mail. I don't have the time right now (computer whiz that I am)
    Your blog today is so upsetting. You have had more than your share of all kinds of crap. With tears streaming down my face, I say to you LIFE IS TOUGH, BUT YOU ARE TOUGHER.
    Love you, Mom xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xoxox For MY MOM!

      You are doing the mom thing and I love you for that..... I AM TOUGHER. And I will be VERY happy at the end of this thing. There's the difference. I have a prize waiting for me...

      Delete
  5. Anne I am trying to understand this. I have had horrible problems with my teeth.. It's been a combination of problems and bad dentists. When I went through chemo I had a temp that needed an implant that had to wait till after I had chemo and it kept falling out. I kept running back to get it glued in. I completed chemo and got my 7th implant after the chemo. My bones were compromised because of my chemo and I am on Zometa once a year. I need another implant but my oncologist wants me to wait until a few months after the full years worth of zometa before I have the tooth pulled for an implant. Instead of a temporary plate with a false tooth that goes in and out of my mouth, I am having the implant crown next to it drilled off so I can have a temp bridge from two teeth (cantilever). What I didn't understand in your story is if you have any worry of osteonecrosis of the jaw. If not, this is frustrating and costly, but your mouth will look great and it's not cancer!
    Also wanted to make sure your temp was not something you take in and out while you wait for the implant to be able to be loaded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan..
      Thank YOU for sharing all of this with me! UNFORTUNATELY there is no research out to show femara (which is my maintenance med) causes jawbone issues..... Otherwise, I would have a case to make a claim against my medical insurance.

      It's just the one area where there was a compromised tooth to begin with. My dentist has been great. From the moment I was diagnosed.... I made sure I went in pre-chemo and he made sure my mouth/teeth were in tip top shape.

      The temp will look great and NOT removable! Again, lucky with my dentist. His dad had a lab and when he was young and throughout dental school he worked in the lab making these things. He understands how to make a great temp and always provides an impeccable mold and DEMANDS perfection in return.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Now that I see what's going on, all I can say is I had bone grafts before one of my implants, and although every case is different, mine went very smooth and the bone loss in my mouth was totally unrelated to my chemo since it was before I got breast cancer. When I read jawbone-that's where I got confused. That said I am lucky even though I have a lot of implants, they are all staying very well. Also although I have horrible bone loss from the chemo, it did not happen in my mouth as a result of the chemo, and in the place I now need an implant now, my bone in my mouth is great! Good luck with the procedures and please keep us posted.

      Delete
  6. Dental procedures are no fun and this one sounds so complicated. Sorry you have to go through it but at least you know that the technology is there (think of poor George Washington with all those wooden teeth!) to fix the bone loss and it will be over in a few months. You definitely deserve a prize at the end!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idelle...

      You always make me smile!! I'm going for the prize.... that's what I will think about every time I have to go in... THAT and the drugs because if anyone thinks for one second I will be awake for ANY of this..... UMMMM yeah.. that would be a definite no!

      xoxox

      Delete
  7. AnneMarie:

    OK, you had me really scared at first. I envisioned something really horrific (i.e. cancer-related) had happened. Thank god that's not the case. However, you might be interested to know a clinical social worker our support group that after going through treatment for cancer, we do end up with a form of PTSD. So your response was not that unusual: scary, but "normal" (whatever that is). That said, all the dental work you have to have really sucks, especially if you have to keep coming back to this same building. Ugh! I feel for you. Good luck with everything. And hang in there!!!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ellen,

      You have a great CSW in your group. There definitely is an element of PTSD. When you are always looking over your shoulder, isn't that kinda PTSD-ish.

      I have all of you... I KNOW I'll be fine. I think mom is the one taking this the worst... (see anonymous comment above)...

      xoxox

      Delete
    2. AnneMarie, you are a gem. Your words express the realities of this cancer journey. Does it ever end? Yes, you have PTS (not sure about the "D" only because I was told that about mine). How are we supposed to get "over" all this and move on? I guess we have moved on, and this is where we are. My prayer is that you will be able to replace the memory of that building with doing something good for yourself. You've got to keep that great smile!

      Delete
    3. Deb...
      You make me smile. We certainly have moved on and now I'm exactly where I believe I belong. Learning, advocating, hand holding and trying to make some sort of difference no matter how small it might be. I'm thrilled to tag team with you from this coast on behalf of Army of Women.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Rhonda,

      YOU Rocked MY NIGHT with that! Better believe I will be fooling around with their instructions!!!

      :)

      Delete
  9. Not to make light of what you are facing, but I am thinking of our breast cancer sisters who are no longer here to have a tooth problem. That brings some perspective. Hang in there AnneMarie and take the tooth thing one step at a time. And I say keep the sarcasm coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lisa,

      It most certainly does put it in perspective and I hope to ALWAYS keep that in the front of my mind.

      I was just doing some "research" for some upcoming blog posts... reading last October's tweet chats and I'm saddened by the deaths of TOO many people.

      There will be sarcasm.. there will definitely be ANGER.... and somehow, that simply has to translate to ACTION....

      xoxo

      Delete
  10. PTSD for the mutilation, poisoning and burning that comes with the initial cancer treatment is something I had too. I'm also currently paranoid about pain in my jaw and the threat of osteonecropathy from the Zometa I'm on.

    I'm so sorry you have to go through this sweetie. Don't compare what you are facing to women who are dying/have died because you are facing a long process that is your fear and your pain and it is entirely valid and shouldn't be invalidated by the idea that someone has it worse. You have a strong heart and a lot of fearless friends of your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xoxoxox

      I'm fresh out of words...... I just want to reach through the screen and give you a giant hug for these words.

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!