Thursday, January 17, 2013

KEEP BREATHING #NoStigma

I want to encourage everyone to read yesterday's post if you haven't already done so....And even if you DID... please go read the comment written by karen.  Right now, it's at the bottom unless other comments were left after I posted this.  She speaks that which she witnessed as a hospice nurse.  karen is always eloquent.  This time, it's eloquence packing a fierce punch.  Go.  Read.  Now.  

Done?  OK.....  Here are links to different organizations where you may find some additional information. They are clickable but if the click doesn't work, cut and paste.  This is important stuff.  

We tend to fear what we don't understand.  At least I know I do.  And sometimes, fear can be expressed in negative ways, like transferring judgement.  So click around, share with others, let's give this some momentum so we can take those first steps toward #NoStigma

Uniting Against Lung Cancer Fact Sheets
http://unitingagainstlungcancer.org/knowlungcancer

The Bonnie J Addario Lung Cancer Foundation (Bonnie spoke on a panel at Partnering for Cures-she's a force, a powerhouse)
http://www.lungcancerfoundation.org

Lungevity
http://events.lungevity.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage

Lung Cancer Research Foundation
http://www.lungcancerresearchfoundation.org

Lung Cancer Alliance
http://www.lungcanceralliance.org

National Lung Cancer Partnership
http://www.nationallungcancerpartnership.org/lung-cancer-info/resources/other-web-resources/lung-cancer-internet-resources/national


It might have been good if I clicked on that last one first.... It's got all of the organizations listed (and there are more that I have not listed because it seemed silly after seeing the nice job done by the National Lung Cancer Partnership)

My observations.  Had I googled "breast cancer organizations" I'd still be sitting here next month adding links.  Also noteworthy, I didn't do a thorough examination of these organizations but I get a sense there is nothing "obnoxious" about the way any of these groups are conducting themselves.  They appear to all be on the same page.

I am haunted by the words of my oncologist when I learned about my dad's diagnosis just three rounds into my own chemotherapy.

"Please try to remember that lung cancer is not breast cancer, AnneMarie.  The treatment situation is very different."

We can't see the change if we aren't willing to be the change.











2 comments:

  1. Thanks again AnneMarie for writing about lung cancer and #NOSTIGMA. This is really important for all cancer patients, caregivers, family and everyone to be aware of. Meanwhile I hope you and your mom are doing well. XoXoXo-Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear anne marie,

    i am humbled and happy that my comment was of some value; thanks for your kind words.

    i was struck by your last sentence of this post today - "we can't see the change if we aren't willing to be the change". i think the breast cancer community is the most compassionate, understanding, and supportive network i've ever encountered; fueled by it's collective willingness and means to disseminate information i know we can make a difference. #NOSTIGMA is a more than worthy cause to embrace. thank you so much for all the time and effort you invested to provide the list of resources so we can tap them for more information.

    i had no idea that your dad was diagnosed just as you were beginning your BC treatment. that must have been so very hard, and i am so sorry to think about how sad and devastating it must have been for both your dad and you.

    please know i am thinking of you and your mom; give each other a warm hug from me.

    much love, XOXOXOXO

    karen, TC

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Do Share!