Thursday, December 27, 2012

RIP TIFFANY. QUITE SIMPLY: UNACCEPTABLE

Last week, in the commotion leading up to Christmas, my mom stunned me with bad news.  A young woman named Tiffany Costa died.  She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2002.  At 29 years old.  Stage II.  She died two weeks ago.  She was metastatic for many years.

Tiffany's extended family members are dear friends of my mom.  I came to "meet" Tiffany because of an email mom forwarded to me.  She was being treated with Doxil.  There was (and it would appear there still IS) a shortage of Doxil and she was trying to raise money to have the drugs brought into this country from Europe.  The cost was exorbitant.  I remember reading the email and I recall thinking that it was disgraceful.  A drug that was keeping Tiffany alive was being rationed out.  Gasoline, I get.  Life saving medications in an environment where, "If it works, keep doing things exactly the same....With No Deviation--NOT in the amount and NOT in the schedule," quite simply: UNACCEPTABLE.

When my mom told me Tiffany died, I immediately remembered her problem getting medication.  I went on my bully pulpit warpath.  "Did something happen with the drug supply?"  Mom knew I was ready to (her words to Tiffany's aunt when she asked) "Storm Washington DC or something, she's PISSED."  As it turns out, she never had a lapse in treatment.  Hers was another case of metastatic disease that stopped responding to the present treatment and there were no more tools in the drug tool box.  End of the line.  To reiterate.  Quite simply:  UNACCEPTABLE.

Tiffany and I communicated via email and on social media.  She was filled with life, she was irreverent, she was fine and then, at the end of August, she disappeared from twitter.  It fits with the timeline I was given by my mom.  I am deeply saddened by her death.  It reminds me of much.

  • We must find treatments for the metastatic patients and they MUST be treatments that do not mess the quality of their lives and the MUST buy them years and years..... so that their deaths are of anything... just NOT breast cancer or the ensuing fallout from the toxic treatment. 
  • We must find treatments for those of us who've already been diagnosed and living in the land of NED (no evidence of disease).  How can we make NED a permanent place in which to reside?
  • We MUST find ways to prevent those who have never had breast cancer from ever getting the disease in the first place.  I have read some of the grumblings of those who call Deadline 2020 a pipe dream and I respectfully DISAGREE.
Those are things that require research.  And more research.  And we have too far to go.

Then, we have the practical things.  Things that are solvable problems.  This relates to that aforementioned drug shortage. It's headlines again and it's quite disheartening.  I blogged about this in August of 2011.  I was new at this blogging gig and I was a total ignoramus where twitter was concerned.  No Joking Matter, Chemo Drugs Are in Short Supply? was my entry on August 19.  Then, on November 16 (last year), I was OUTRAGED about some of the wording used to explain the reasons behind this ongoing Drug Shortage.

Today, my blood is boiling.  We've watched in horror as the angelic faces of twenty young children flashed on our television screens.  We should be equally horrified by what I read in the New England Journal of Medicine and in an NPR story about the treatment of CURABLE childhood cancers; specifically, lymphoma.

The NEJM article is titled The Impact of Drug Shortages of Children With Cancer and in part, it says:


Almost 80% of children and adolescents with cancer can be cured with current therapy. Most of the curative treatment regimens are based on chemotherapeutic agents that have been available for decades, but some of these have recently been in short supply. These shortages are likely to have devastating effects on patients with cancer and must be prevented. For many of these agents, no adequate substitute drugs are available. Our results suggest that even promising substitute regimens should be examined carefully before adoption; what might appear to be a suitable alternative regimen may result in an inferior outcome — an intolerable situation for young people with curable diseases.


Quite simply:  UNACCEPTABLE.

Back to Tiffany....  In February of 2012, she sent this email to her family, who sent it to my mom, who sent it to me and I took it to social media.  

We can't have children being "sacrificed" because of anyone's bottom line and we should NEVER receive emails like this.... not about adults and not about children:

hey guys!

so im in a bit of a situation if you havent heard...theres a national shortage of my chemo, DOXIL. its the ONLY drug thats worked for me and im feeling great & doing so well and i want to keep it that way!!!
i found a way this time to buy 9 viles internationally, but obviously insurance doesnt cover anything not made here. 

BASTARDS.

9 viles =3 treatments for me.

there was a priority list the first time this briefly happened which i was on and it allotted me 7 treatments. ive used them all.

there is a new waiting list but only the people that didnt get on the first one can be on it so that excludes me :(
so, im trying to raise money because its VERY expensive and no one knows when the shortage will be over...days, months, years, never...its unknown.

some my friends have created a fundraising site for me so what im asking is if you all could PREEEETTTTY PLEASE donate if you are able to, then pass the link and info on to your mother father sister brother cousin aunt uncle boyfriend girlfriend in-laws neighbor friend niece nephew co-workers...EVERYONE. id be forever grateful!!

ANY AMOUNT WOULD BE AMAZING!

thanks!

if youre TWEETING im @tiffercosta

PLEASE VISIT, DONATE and PASS IT ALONG!!

XOXO
tiff

I have no ax to grind against Big Pharma.  I understand they are not in the business of philanthropy.  They operate for profit and their profits on their drug patents among other things, are funneled back into research and development.  Yes, people are getting rich and flying in private jets and doing all of that stuff..... That is capitalism and I'm not going to get into a moral, ethical discussion except to ask Big Pharma some relatively simple questions.  Maybe I'm being idealistic and if so, I'm all ears but come to me with solutions.  Suggestions.  I need to understand.  I'd like answers.

If you have the ability to manufacture a drug that is saving lives, can't you divert at least SOME of your resources to see that these shortages are addressed?  Can you guys find a way to work together and address at very least the most critical shortages?  You want to create a feeling of good will?  THIS is your chance.

Because what is happening at this present time?  Quite Simply:  UNACCEPTABLE. 

10 comments:

  1. I agree. This is so UNACCEPTABLE. Doxil is what I get too and they have told me the same thing but so far I have been getting my treatments. Doxil is mostly used for METS so perhaps it is falling under the same bridge that all Mets stuff seems to. I think 2020 is reasonable too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate,

      I HOPE the fact that Doxil is primarily a METS med isn't playing into any of this... Because IF it is, you can bet I'll be at that bully pulpit kicking and screaming until someone listens and actually does something. I'm here listening and I'm counting on you to keep me in the loop. No matter what.... I'll never stop being a #FearlessFriend.

      xoxox
      AnneMarie

      Delete
  2. dear annemarie,

    i am so sorry for the sad, heartwrenching death of tiffany, gone at such a young age after so many struggles with metastatic disease. even though she never had a lapse in treatment, it still leaves so many of us feeling outraged that shortages of effective meds to treat CHILDREN, and others is a reality. i completely agree with your list of musts; and i also agree that we can't back down from the 2020 deadline. thank you for the information, the work and words of a true advocate, who, upon discovering something this scary and maddening, chooses to be FEARLESS.

    love, love you XOXO

    karen, TC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kTC...
      I just wrote a response which was NOT published but I wanted to tell you how much I cherish you. And share how honored I feel to have you call me an advocate. I follow my heart, I hope to make a difference and from this, I have come to form deeply personal friendships like what I share with you...
      Love You...

      xoxox

      ps-You had me smiling when you shared the date mix up and the late gifts. Those are the memories that live on and will bring a smile to my face for a long time.... (((hugs)))

      Delete
  3. oh, you darling thing - have you any idea what it means to me when you respond with such love and kindness to my comments? so glad to have given you a smile with the account of being lost in time. we need all the smiles we can get, don't we. but you know, i think 2013 is going to be a
    FABULOUS one!

    HAPPY, HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU, MY FEARLESS FRIEND!

    LOVE, HUGS AND KISSES,

    karen, TC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just horrified. This is awful. There is no reason for there to be drug shortages. Period. Also, when Li was dying her oncologist wrote a script for a drug that her insurance would not approve and said it was $600.00. She died three days later. It's not like you can go back over the claim saying they should have paid it when she was dead. Now I think that's what I should have done. Made a big stink over them not giving her the medication so she did not have to die in any pain. Then expose them for denying her the drug. I just couldn't do it because she was very proud. Grrrrrrrrr. I am mad-and in time I will take action with this one. Glad to know there are many of us upset about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just horrified. This is awful. There is no reason for there to be drug shortages. Period. Also, when Li was dying her oncologist wrote a script for a drug that her insurance would not approve and said it was $600.00. She died three days later. It's not like you can go back over the claim saying they should have paid it when she was dead. Now I think that's what I should have done. Made a big stink over them not giving her the medication so she did not have to die in any pain. Then expose them for denying her the drug. I just couldn't do it because she was very proud. Grrrrrrrrr. I am mad-and in time I will take action with this one. Glad to know there are many of us upset about this.Thamks for listening. XoXoXo-Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan...

      Well... I'm glad this fired you up, too! This is definitely something we can band together about and make some ugly noise until someone actually LISTENS. I am so sorry each time I read a bit more about Li and how painful it must have been to watch someone so close to you in pain and ultimately die far too soon.

      Glad to stand beside you and ALWAYS glad to listen...

      xoxox

      Delete
  6. I don't know AnneMarie drug shortages in this day and age? I have great difficulty in believing that. Call me skeptical but with all the technology sophisticated equipment in producing these drugs you are really going to say shortage?
    I feel it is more in holdng the cancer patients hostages with so many treatments that may be available , I don't think I am being paranoid but the whole reality of these drugs being on the short list just does not make sense to me. MET patients re expendible, are a few hundred or thousand really going to make a difference, when at some point they may suddenly come with an over abundance of this particular drug and more? I found when I was in Europe they were not afraid to use alternative in conjunction with mainstream methods we are used to. However the slash poison and burn we have "adapted" to so well to seems a little less toxic and more people friendly there . Could this be why so many seek out European Clinics? Another young life gone Stupid Stupid Incompetentence on the Pharma side.
    Love Alli XX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my heart is broken. I wish there was a way I could have gotten involved to do something before. :(

    ReplyDelete