Monday, November 19, 2012

YOU CAN THRIVE -- CAN YOU HELP?

I met Luana several months ago.  She doesn't remember that particular meeting because she was a rock star that day. She took to the podium in a conference room and mesmerized all of us with her passion.  I met Luana again just a few weeks ago at the registration for the Avon walk.  She is a supporter of DSLRF so she stopped by the Army of Women sign up table to say hi.

Luana founded and runs a non-profit.  You Can Thrive.  I'm all about research but I'm also about making sure the needs of the underserved are met and I'm definitely about AFTER.  What happens after that rope is cut and we are no longer tethered to our medical facilities?  You Can Thrive fills a tremendous void.

A holistic approach to care is now becoming mainstream.  Complimentary care like acupuncture, massage, reflexology, aromatherapy and meditation are quickly being incorporated into standards of care.  You Can Thrive has been doing this for several years.  Advocating for patients in active treatment and helping develop post treatment programs is at the core of Luana's vision which she turned into a reality.

All of this is done at no cost.  The therapists volunteer their services.  Space is rented but the space they occupy on Sunday will no longer be available as the calendar closes on 2012.  You Can Thrive is on its very own Fiscal Cliff.

As we approach this season of giving, perhaps you might consider a donation to You Can Thrive.  They are scrambling to find an independent space to rent.  Are you in NYC?  Do you know of anyone in NYC who might be in a position to assist in finding space, donating space?  Are you in a position to tell those who ask you what you might like as a holiday gift to say, "Send a donation......"  ??

I'm counting on those of you in and around the NY area or with connections to anyone in the NY area to reach out...... Maybe we can make something happen for You Can Thrive.....  Together.....  Each December, I stumble upon a feel good holiday story.  I hope You Can Thrive will be my "feel good" story this December.

Please take a look around the website to see how the vision of one person and the passion of that person can change lives. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please contact me.  anncicc@gmail.com  and if that didn't print like an email address, it's in the contact link.

Let's brainstorm.  I really like Luana lots.  Her passion is infectious.  She did a little pet therapy and some aromatherapy with a few of us at the sign up table.  One of the people who was there went to the center that Sunday.  On Monday, I received an email.  Quite simply, it said, "You Can Thrive is the BEST."

Maybe we can help to make it The BestEST?

~AnneMarie



5 comments:

  1. A happy factoid to pass along...

    The meaning of "Luanna" is "graceful woman warrior."

    (There's a blog by that name written by the daughter of my favorite science fiction writer. The unhappy part is that she, too, has breast cancer.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And she is, indeed.... a graceful warrior!!!

      ((hugs))

      Delete
  2. "our dads were, in a word, PERFECT."
    Wow! AnneMarie, if my children feel even close to that at the end of my life I will have died a blessed and happy man. Your Dad I believe would be proud of you.
    Jason @liftweight4jc
    PS if this actually posts I was finally able to respond to your blog, that I read faithfully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "our dads were, in a word, PERFECT."
    Wow! AnneMarie, if my children feel even close to that at the end of my life I will have died a blessed and happy man. Your Dad I believe would be proud of you.
    Jason @liftweight4jc
    PS if this actually posts I was finally able to respond to your blog, that I read faithfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason!!!!! Yay....The comment posted, although I know this belongs in the post dated November 20th.....

      FYI-I SAW that essay your daughter wrote. I think your children already hold you in the highest regard... I'm pretty sure they know you are PERFECT, too!

      Much love to you, your wife and your girls,

      AnneMarie

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!