Wednesday, July 4, 2012

HOPE TODAY IS A NORMAL TRAVEL DAY

MSKCC, like most major cancer centers, has a quarterly newsletter called Bridges.  It's for survivors so it would stand to reason that the newsletter would be available at any of the "survivorship" celebrations.  I already shared my experience at the NYC event where Kathy Bates spoke so candidly, so eloquently, so humorously.  I loved how one of the MSK doctors explained her CRAFT.

My mom who most of you know is also a cancer patient (we have the same oncologist) attended the suburban celebration. I expected to join her but it was my daughter's birthday.  We had a little celebratory dinner and I'm certain my daughter didn't really need to have breast cancer in her face on her birthday otherwise we would have both joined her.

In one of those "Wait, WHAT?" moments, my mom was seated at a table with a number of other women including family friends (and her neighbors).  The wife has breast cancer and is suffering from lymphedema.  She attends a support group. Her HUSBAND has breast cancer and we've discussed his need to stay on tamoxifen.  Their DAUGHTER died of metastatic breast cancer.  No known BRCA mutation.  As my mom is sitting with her friend and the lymphedema support group, she began flipping through the newsletter.  She exclaims, "HEY! That's my daughter."  This triggers another woman at the table to inquire, "Who?"  As my mom was telling me the story, I finished it for her.  "You met Christine!"  I volunteer with Christine and she also wrote an article for the newsletter.  We were together two weeks prior at a volunteer meeting.

One day later, my neighbor stopped over to say hello.  She's a trained nurse who is now in charge of a nursing home. After my latest surgery, she came to check on me every day.  She brought me meals and she wanted to make sure I was healing properly.  That surgery occurred during a rather crappy time in my life and I wasn't eating (at all) so she was very concerned about me.  My neighbor is a wonderful person.  Last week when she popped over, she had the same newsletter in her hand.  Someone she works with is being treated for breast cancer and she brought her the newsletter for some unknown reason.  Maybe because they work in healthcare?  I wasn't clear on the reason..... All I know is my neighbor and I were laughing like kids.  Her message, "It's a really small world and you always watch what you are saying because you just never know...."

The story that I gave them for publication was about my travel experience and the TSA pat down I had the pleasure of experiencing in November.  It's a slightly cleaned up version that appeared in the newsletter.  I think I suggested I wanted the agent to offer me a drink before she felt me up when this appeared on the blog.  THAT is not in the newsletter.

Considering today is a "travel day" and I will be in the San Juan airport for the first time in a very long time, I wonder what will happen.  I'll be sure to let you know if there's anything fun to report!  Be SURE to scroll below the article so you can read all about the statistics from the Department of Homeland Security.  Mom sent them to me so I can see what a great job TSA is doing to keep us safe!

See you tomorrow.... or maybe Friday... Depends upon what time I get home, presuming I don't end up delayed in San Juan thanks to a Body Scan gone amok!

Bridges Article Scan



January Statistics On Airport Screening From The Department Of Homeland Security:
Terrorists Discovered
0
Transvestites
133
Hernias
1,485
Hemorrhoid Cases
3,172
Enlarged Prostates
8,249
Breast Implants
59,350
Natural Blondes
3

It was also discovered that 535 congressional representatives had no balls.

2 comments:

  1. Those stats are something else! :) Thanks for sharing the newsletter - it's basically my air-travel nightmare, except that it sounds as though the lady who searched you wasn't bad. Generally whenever I fly, I pack the falsie in the suitcase just to avoid any confusion. (Never mind that this leaves me without a bra . . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The lady was very sweet. The next time I was in a scanner, there was a very friendly, albeit menacing looking guy directing traffic. He looked like he belonged on a line at some chic night club picking the people who would gain entrance.... I've had enough... Warned him. "Call the lady with the wand. I have implants from breast cancer." They did NOT show up. Different scanner. No issues getting home from Puerto Rico, either!

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!