Wednesday, July 18, 2012

FLIP THE PAGE

Today is a big day.  It is the FINAL day of the first year since I began my big blogging adventure.  Tomorrow, Chemobrain has officially been online for an entire year.  That makes today the equivalent of New Year's Eve.  A day of reflection.

Ironically, and this really had no bearing on the timing of making this blog public, SIX years ago today, July 18, 2006, I made my way into an operating room at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center for the very first time.  I was not nervous.  I was having a surgical biopsy.  However, in my mind, the word biopsy wasn't really part of the language of the day.  I had atypical cells removed from a core biopsy and to quote my rock star radiologist, "We don't leave abnormal cells in anyone's body."

That was my frame of mind.  That is how I skipped into the operating room, greeted by my rock star breast surgeon. There was no fear when I climbed on to the operating table.  Yes, MSK is one of the hospitals where you walk into the operating room.  I was asked my name and date of birth by at least six people while someone else was reading the band on my wrist and yet a third person was looking at my chart.  Patient safety and medical errors are high priority at that hospital.  In fact, for the second year in a row, MSKCC was named the second best cancer hospital in the country but in the category that is really of utmost importance, PATIENT SAFETY, they are at the top of the heap.

As I was welcomed to the party, I was asked, "What are you having done today, AnneMarie."  I was at Spa Sloan and I should have replied, "single process touch up and a mani-pedi while the dye is doing its magic."  Instead, I heard the words but couldn't recognize my own voice.  As I was responding in dutiful fashion, my eyes caught a glimpse of a HUGE white board.  I uttered the words surgical biopsy but everything began to spin as I saw the word lumpectomy plastered across that white board.  Can't blame the spinning room on the anesthesia, either.... they don't touch you with a single mind altering substance until all of the questions are answered.  The spinning room was because suddenly, I was in a cancer hospital, in an operating room, apparently having a lumpectomy.  Somewhere deep inside, I knew I was headed down a lonely road.  Despite a very large, exceptionally supportive and wonderfully loving family, while cancer may be a team sport with the sheer number of doctors and medical professionals in the game, cancer IS the ultimate solo journey.  That was six years ago.  Today.

And one year ago, I was anticipating the launch of this blog.  I wonder if I even realized today was biopsy day.  I doubt it. I was anxious to see this thing go live.  I was curious if anyone would even realize it was here.  Would I attain the one goal I set for myself?  Validate just one person.  Would anyone even read my nonsensical tales of how my brain seemed to have taken a permanent vacation?  When the first comment appeared, and unlike Julie and Julia, it was NOT from my mom, I achieved what I set out to do.  It was a short thank you.  Ironically, the comment was made on July 27th.  The Cancer Chasm Date.  Sherry, where ever you are..... THANK you.

The rest?  I'm not going to bore anyone with the details of every single thing that has happened in one year.  My life took a left turn and I turned left and just went with it.  If July 2010 through July 2011 was possibly one of the worst periods in my life, BAR NONE, these past twelve months have more than made up for the previous twelve.  I found a voice.  My voice.  I pursued that which stirred a passion deep from within and it has nothing to do with shades of grey or anything else outside of myself.  I am thankful for a wonderful group of people who have become friends.  I've met quite a few people in the 3D world.  We've stepped out of our computers and into cafes or meetings or the homes of friends.  I've felt a kinship previously unknown to me.  I have a sense of purpose.  Real purpose.

To make a difference
To lend an ear
To steady a step
To hold a hand
To dry a tear
To laugh
To cry
To speak softly with kindness
To shout with outrage

To be a Fearless Friend

Simply Just Be

Me.

Honoring my feelings no matter where they are on the emotional spectrum.  Hopefully acting in a respectful manner whether I'm using my voice or communicating via my printed words.  Agreeing to disagree.  Being true to myself first. Standing firmly in my beliefs.  Never losing sight of the big picture.  Realizing that goals may be achieved incrementally and that's okay.  Keeping a sense of idealism but acting from a place of realistic expectations.

If you've joined me in this adventure, thank you.  I feel the support.  It motivates me each day to do more, to be better, and to bask in the glow of a favorite quote:

It's never to late to become who you might have been.   

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your one year anniversary! Look forward to reading your comments, thoughts and incites for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John.... that means so much to me!

      Delete
  2. The topic of your blog is what drew us together. Getting to know you through your "fearless" humor, support, kindness, and brilliant writing, is what made me realize that we'll be friends always. Congrats on your one-year blog anniversary! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Idelle, we truly will be friends forever. Each baby step I took (on wobbly legs with TONS of edits....) got stronger at certain points during this past year. Our first communication was one of those points that strengthened my step. I am going to get creative and figure out how to write "Who's in Your Brain and What Happened to Mine" and we WILL figure out a way to perform it.

      Love,
      Lou
      xoxox

      Delete
  3. We're grateful for you and that the purpose you found is of benefit to so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou thankyou... It's comments like this..... that mean so much to me.

      Delete
  4. I told you this once before. God said no to my prayers all those years ago because He had a much bigger plan for you. I'm sure Dad is beaming. I could just hear him say "That's My Daughter". So happy for you. Congratulation! Love, Mom xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, mom. And I'm thankful to have the chance to say that in such a public forum..... for all who may be reading this to see...

      xoxox

      Delete
  5. There is a saying about when a Yankee moves to Texas (like myself), something in the line of "Got here as Soon as I Could". I was not reading a year ago, but sure am glad I am here now. Really enjoy being part of this network with such remarkable voices. My biggest wish was if the subject matter was all past-tense and everyone was surviving this disease, and there was no such thing as recurrence. With your help someday it will happen.
    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine,
      You know that part of what drives me is YOU. No more recurrence... no more breast cancer. You are never far from my thoughts and you are always close to my heart.
      Much Love ALWAYS,
      AnneMarie

      Delete
  6. Late to the "party" as always, so I've not been able to enjoy the blog for the entire year. Regardless, I'm thrilled I found you. Totally understand your sense of purpose. I've been through mastectomies and chemo twice and have always felt I was left on this earth to serve some purpose. While I've been able to led support to friends and co-workers, I haven't gone out on a limb like you have. AnneMarie - THANK YOU for all that you do. I feel like I've found a kindred spirit. Here's to another year of blogging and health! Love you, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Ellen..... I'm not out on any limb. I'm standing on the shoulders of people like YOU. I just have a big mouth and decided it was about time I stopped yelling about stupidity (ala: WHO left the dish in the sink?!!??) and started making noise for a good reason. Love you, too!!

      Giant hugs,
      AnneMarie

      Delete
  7. Ann Marie,

    Keep on speaking out with that great voice you have discovered. I can always feel your passion coming through in your words. We need your voice and your passion. We need YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear buddy....Nancy...

      I'll repeat it again.... one of the very first people in the blogging world to embrace me with open arms. And now, someone I consider to be a friend. I admire all that you do and you, too helped me become more confident. So thankful for such a precious gift.

      Love to you,

      AnneMarie

      Delete
  8. Your blot is the first thing I read in the morning. I'm proud to say I've been a faithful fearless reader since the beginning! Keep it up my friend! Love to you! Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE YOU...... This comment was stuck in a spam folder that I NEVER check because I never got "spam" comments.

      Yes! You have been by my side for this entire year..... I can't tell you what that means to me..... "Blissful Ignorance" .... such music to my ears.... Hard to believe I remember the words :)

      xoxoxox

      Delete
  9. You are such an inspiration to me. Just when I think I can't go on anymore, I find something else from you or others from the #bcsm community who make me see, even I can lend a voice to breast cancer.
    Here's to another year of successful blogging.
    You're an awesome woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to jump through the screen and give you a giant hug..... Yes, we ALL have something to say and it's a win-win. Every time I read something that you write, you make me smile... You've brightened my days more than you know..... I'm glad we found each other!

      xoxox

      Delete
  10. Happy anniversary. You're an inspiration to me too. I'm so grateful to the #bcsm community - support, information, realism, love, understanding....bc sucks, but we're not alone, and we learn from each other. All. the. Time. And you help. A lot. (You also remind me that I need to get off my butt and write) ;-)

    Much <3

    e.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E... (really I like the "3laine".. clever-I always want to say that to you and I ALWAYS forget)...

      We aren't alone and that is the greatest part of social media. I love #bcsm. I love the bloggers. I love the sense of community....

      I do believe we can make a difference..... but mostly, we hold each other up. Nothing is better than that!

      xoxox

      Delete
  11. Happy Blogoversary, AM! The blog world would not be the same without YOU!!

    xoxo

    Renn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RENN!!!!

      I'm in the middle of such a commotion I missed your good wishes.... You were one of my first bloggy connections.....

      Thank you for being such a good friend!!

      xoxox

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!