Friday, July 19, 2013

REFLECTIONS

I have two things to share.

This blog is officially two years old.  The first post was on July 19, 2011.  How could I have ever imagined the number of amazing people I would meet, people who have enriched my life in ways I can't begin to express, people who have had my back through my own moments, through my mom's diagnosis of metastatic disease and through other things that have been a little less public.  How could I have known?  And how do I express my gratitude for such a warm welcome?  Thank you for being in my life.

Today, I celebrate and honor my dad.  He has been gone for six years, gone from the dining room table, gone from the holiday celebrations, gone from the doctor's offices.  I miss him.  I miss his wisdom.  I miss his steady hand guiding me on shaky ground.  There's been lots of shaky ground lately.  I could really use his guidance.  Instead, I rely on memories.  I remember the lessons he taught me.  Not by preaching, although no one could command the attention of everyone in a room like my dad, I learned by his example.  My dad, a life well lived and one cut short far too soon.

One of my favorite photos, this was taken less than seven months before his death.  I love you, dad.



7 comments:

  1. Happy 2 years blogging AnneMarie. This is lovely dedication to your father, and I can feel all the love you have pouring through your words.

    Thank you for 2 years of cheering forward, calling out, and advocating. You're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on two years of blogging AnneMarie! Your blog is a great example of how this vehicle can be used to spread knowledge and inspire further action. Your writing style and wit pull people in. And I bet you got some of that from your dad. Keep on keeping on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 2-year anniversary. I'm thankful that our paths have crossed. I'm so sorry about your dad, AnneMarie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear Annemarie,

    your heart must be filled to overflowing, remembering and honoring your wonderful dad. that is such a marvelous photo of him. he would be so proud of all you have accomplished in just two years of blogging, inspired by his fine example and what he taught you. your zeal, grace, truth, and determination continue to amaze and inspire me. congratulations, dear friend!

    much love, XOXOXOXO

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. We created our blogs on exactly the same day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 blog years feels like at least 5 in the offline world. So happy our paths crossed!!!

    Our dads died the same year... 2007. Thanks for sharing his photo.
    {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, Ann Marie, I'm so glad you started blogging! I'm so honored and pleased to have "met" you. Your passion, dedication, drive and unique voice is a real asset. Thanks for all you do. Congrats on the milestone!

    And I'm so sorry about your dad. I understand how much you miss him - I miss my mom too. Like you, I rely on the memories and I often think about what her opinions on any given subject might be. I'm grateful I have so many memories to revisit. I'm sure you are too. Thanks so much for sharing the photo of your dad. I'm very touched. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete