Friday, February 17, 2012

LOVE WILL FIND A WAY

I have made no secret of my unabashed love for one of the most brilliant women the world has EVER known.  Of course, I am talking about Dr. Susan Love.  I’m fairly certain I didn’t need to actually identify her by name, but for the three or five people who may NOT have known, just being on the safe side.

Why, you ask?  I am a breast cancer survivor.  I am five years post active treatment.  I was one of those “high risk” creatures because my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in her 40’s. Then, I wasn’t high risk anymore.  I was just another woman who developed breast cancer.  In my 40’s, too.  And then, the disease just continued to bounce among my mom (yes, a second time) and my sisters.

I’ve been very vocal in my dissatisfaction with the progress (ok, the LACK of any meaningful progress) in changing the status quo.  Never mind a cure, forget prevention, hell, my treatment in 2006-7 was nearly identical to the treatment my mom received twenty years prior.  I call BS.  That’s not progress.  That’s stagnancy.

Enter Dr. Love.  (You can sing in your head with me if you hear Gene Simmons and Kiss……. )  And if I’m OLD and you aren’t, this is the theme song I’m thinkin of, for Dr. Love:

They call me, Doctor Love
Doctor Love
I am your Doctor (of) Love
Doctor Love
I’ve got the cure you’re thinkin of…..

That fits.  I’ll take it.

Joking aside, Dr. Love is the only one I hear coming up with new ideas, different angles, formulating a plan of attack.  Dr. Love is holding a new deck of cards and the game is about to change.  Me?  I’m All In.  I’ll throw up the ante.  Will you join me?

Great….. This is what we need.  Noise.  Lots and lots of noise.  From lots and lots of people.  For starters, make sure everyone likes the Army of Women Facebook page.  AND THEN, make sure everyone knows that “liking” the page isn’t equal to “joining” the Army of Women.  After you like the page, you have to click the link and sign up.

When you are in a crowd of people using cell phones, get them to shoot a text to 46637 that says armyofwomen.  Coerce the sign up, on the spot.  If you have to listen to these people yapping on their phones in the stupidest places, be bold, be brash, be brazen.  Hell, I’m thinking I may download the ringtone to my phone so I can do a little Dr. Love dance while I'm watching them fill in the blanks.

And now, for the really important stuff.......  This is grassroots, this is the in the neighborhood type stuff.  And this is where each one of us can make a little difference.  There will be all sorts of events beginning to pop up.  I see golf outings and a few spring benefits.  There are a couple of local walks.

If you see something, say something.  That's a big "thing" all over NYC.  Mainly, it's to make sure we keep our eyes open for terrorists, but I want you to keep your eyes out for the "volunterrorists in the pink caps" .... (I can't claim that phrase as my own..... it was part of an editorial piece and I will locate the link and get back to you on that)  However, any place where there are events for which money is being raised for breast cancer "awareness" or "research" or WHATEVER...... we want to be there to get women into the Army of Women database.

They can raise the money..... they can fund the research...... and WE can make sure that their research studies are filled by getting the word out to as many women as possible.  A researcher with a great idea and a boatload of money isn't going far unless there are ready, willing and able participants.  It doesn't matter how large or small the event might be, we just need to keep the ripples moving until they turn into waves.

So, I am officially enlisting your help.  If you see an event, send me an email.  There is a contact link at the top of the page with my email information.  I'll take it from there and pass the information along to the right people.  The more places we can get the word out, the more chances we have of amassing the women we need to shake things up.  Put my email address into your smart phones.  Snap pictures of any signs you might see.  Forward me the picture.  We have to get the ball rolling.  One small thing.  If each person does just one small thing, together, we will watch great things unfold.  I am sure of it!

ON A TOTALLY SEPARATE NOTE...... PINK WELL ORGANIZATION IS PROMOTING A "VOTING CONTEST" .....  Can I get as many people as possible to vote for Metavivor in this "contest"  ..  They fund research for Metastatic Breast Cancer.  It was the charity of choice of Rachel Moro.  Our votes (three a day, every day through May using twitter, Facebook and an email account) and they could be awarded a hefty donation.  Just because we took the time to vote.  I'm in.  Not only for Rachel, but for Susan, too.  And for my friend.  They all died of metastatic disease.  Please......  VOTE FOR METAVIVOR HERE!



  

10 comments:

  1. Annemarie,
    Good going, girlfriend! You're harnessing the power of social media.

    BTW, I'm also a fan of Dr. Love. She's particularly interested in prevention and after listening to researchers every year at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, "THE" scientific event of the year, they don't have a clue about how to solve this problem.

    Off to vote for Metavivor!

    XOXOXO,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brenda...
    This blog, volunteering at MSK and my involvement with Army of Women all seemed to gel together at the same time. I will be in San Antonio next year! I know my oncologist has presented a number of times. I was too much of a neophyte in December..... I'm starting with NBCC in May. Have a few seminars I will be attending by some of the docs.... AND, today when I was doing my volunteer rounds on the floor, the new social worker in charge of the volunteers has a particular interest in "body image issues" so she has a presentation planned in a couple of weeks, too. Definitely will be in attendance. We spoke about that today... and how that IS an issue for many of us. Was great to share what I know from social media with her and she was equally thrilled to hear she hit upon a topic that may be useful to many.

    Great weekend to you....
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnneMarie,
    Something for both of us to remember: Let me know if you do make it to San Antonio later this year. It's my home, and I'd love to meet up, attend some of the sessions and grab lunch.

    XOXOXO,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love your blog! Just spent many hours reading through your posts. Found your blog info on Brenda's blog as one that she follows. Thanks for your inspiration! I have just recently started my breast cancer journey. If you want to read more you can visit kristinmburk@blogspot.com. I will definately be a folllowers of yours now, I am hooked! - Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin.
      I'm just catching up on my reading and I see you are still recovering from your recent surgery. Hope you are feeling well and will be keeping tab on you, now, too!
      AnneMarie

      Delete
  5. Crawford GlissadevilFebruary 20, 2012 at 8:00 PM

    Wow, AnneMarie you are out there in the field, rounding up troops to fight breast cancer, this despicable destroyer of life, that runs riot through women's hearts, breasts, and self image. The savage cancer curse, like some crazed sadist run amok, attempts to sow seeds of doubt and fear into every precious thought. AnneMarie, you have an upbeat, intelligent, fighting spirit, and no a holds barred determination, that instills hope, where once there was only lonely despondency. You are an amazing, charismatic communicator. With women and men like you, leading the fight against breast cancer, I feel we can whip it's ass, and make it a distant memory like smallpox. You are a leader in this fight for life. Stay the course AnneMarie, stay pure in heart, and take time to smell the flowers this spring. Is it not amazing AnneMarie, how you rose from your wintry affliction, armed with a will to live, The new AnneMarie broke through a crack in the uneven concrete, reaching for the sun you grew stronger each day AnneMarie. What a wonder you are AnneMarie, (A beautiful rose blossomed and bloomed flooding the avenue with fragrant perfume) The perfume of your words, your powerful message are soft, silken, rose petals blown by the wind of your indefatigable purpose, with the power of 10,000 roaring rapids, pure as melted mountain snow, will in time overflow the rigid banks, and with a massive flood of cures and prevention, that will overwelm and drown breast cancer like a filty Antillean cave rat. What is an Antillean cave rat? It's extinct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CG-
      I love all of your comments...... just FYI..... but tonight? I needed to see this tonight. I'm always mentioning "back stories" of a personal nature and you would have NO way of knowing what these words mean to me on so many levels right now. I LOVE the Yes song but more than anything, I love the time you took to validate me.
      I'm sending a hug.... a big giant hug....
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Crawford GlissadevilFebruary 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM

    http://youtu.be/8kb1H-PQoQY

    Yes! Love will find a way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! Because of you, I joined Armynof Women a few weeks ago. Now I'm off to vote for METAVivor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading things like this. Thank you for sharing that you joined Army of Women!! Metavivor? That's important stuff..... I can poke fun at my chemobrain but I'm HERE to poke fun at it..... You know about loss.... THIS is where we need to begin to see some real progress. Thank you for the support....
      xoxox

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!