Wednesday, November 30, 2011

EXHALING-WITH GOOD RESULTS!!

Yesterday, my photo contribution  to Catherine Brunelle's new website was given a shout out on twitter.

It was appropriately timed.  My Petrified Survivor Self Portrait.  Waiting for test results.

October was doctor month.  I don't do scans.  It's bloodwork, it's tissue samples, it's a skin check and for the bonus round, this year, it was a colonoscopy.  In April, I will have doctor month again.  They are at six month intervals.  This April, I expect there will be an MRI to make sure those implants are not leaking.  And more bloodwork and still more tissue samples.

Thanks to the unknown nature of my BRCA mutations, I am considered at risk for breast cancer (been there, done that, I'll pass on round two if you don't mind), ovarian cancer (removed them, too), colon cancer (skipped my scheduled two year follow up due to another surgery), MELANOMA!?  Who the hell would have thunk that one?? (had two suspicious "things" already removed-this was the first time I walked away with, "see ya next year")

Not on the menu?  Cervical Cancer.  That just happened all on its own.  A whole separate issue.  I don't think I was 6 months clear of the breast cancer debacle when I entered gynecological hell.  Every three months.  Monday night, I finally pulled out the pathology report that started this episode.  The initial report from over two years ago.  The one that put me back into an operating room for a surgical biopsy and ultimately, the complete hysterectomy.  It was scary. "High grade" and "can't rule out glands" and a mess of other things that sounded very ominous.

Atypia despite risk reducing surgery???  ARE you KIDDING ME???  Must I ALWAYS pull the frikken short straw? Perspective.  My shit has all been fixable.  Scarring emotionally, physically but still, Fixable.  Still.  Again?  Several samples taken and sent to the skilled pathologists in the labs at MSK.  What began on October 31, "There were abnormal cells" was brought to a conclusion last evening when the doctor said,

"Everything is BENIGN."

One month in "Waiting Sucks Hell" and I'm free for SIX months!  NOT ONLY did I get GOOD results, it didn't alter my six month doctor plan either!!

I was jumping all over the place, Gaga blasting "I'm on the edge of glory......." and a gigantic ALL CAPS TWEET ABOUT GOOD RESULTS, NO CANCER, IT'S BENIGN.

So, for everyone who was sending thoughts, vibes, prayers, sticking pins in voodoo dolls, burning candles, crossing fingers, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

And for everyone who took the time to send me a tweet when I sent my shriek tweet THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

I was expecting bad news.  I was prepared to hear bad news.  I also knew I would NOT be able to man up and sit back at the oncology table for a plateful of chemotherapy and/or radiation.  Surgery?  No problem.  Put me to sleep and do what you want.  That other stuff.  I just finished a five year marathon and I KNOW I did not have it in me to enter the iron man competition.


My November 30th post is officially complete.  This is just a postscript.  It's the October/November postscript.
When I got off the phone, I jumped into my car, late for my weekly yoga session, how fitting to hear this very poignant song.  I was instantly reminded of how we carry each other.  You carried me.  And I will be there to do the same should you need me.  It always brings a tear to my eye.

Last night, it created quite a flood.....


The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is of my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with the gladness
Of love for one another
It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
And the load
Doesn't weigh me down at all
He ain't heavy, he's my brother








8 comments:

  1. WHEW WHO! YAY AnneMarie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Oh man, that is great news. You go girl!

    I am heading into surgery tomorrow AM. I'm getting a new TE for Christmas!
    ;-)
    Renn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Idelle!!!!

    Renn-Outpatient on the TE surgery? I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

    Rach...... Scroll back to November 23. I was so teary when I saw you would be gettin' the hell out of dodge, I was overwhelmed. I have NO hormones which might cause me to be so touched by good things despite shitty circumstances, my emotions MUST be coming from a soulful and deep within the heart place..... Love your pics! Love the Orient Express story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, outpatient on the TE! One drain. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping for another post about medication distribution!!!! Good luck tomorrow..... keep up in the loop..

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you. I look forward to many sassy posts yet from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kel,
    I just left a note on your blog. Thanks for the shout out on the 1000 Women site!!!! Feels exhilarating to read such wonderful things!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Something to add? Do Share!