Thursday, September 18, 2014

NOTE TO NFL: PURPLE IS THE NEW PINK

I have no idea who said what, to whom, or where any commentary or opinions may have appeared.  I've been busy in Philadelphia with my presentation at ePatient Connections which was an absolutely wonderful experience.  Before I share everything about two exceptionally enlightening days, I can't sit on the sidelines for this one.

It's all over the news.  Every time I turn the television on, another NFL player is being indicted and/or accused of some form of domestic violence.  These are all recent incidents and frankly, I think it's time for the NFL to rethink the pink.  Yes, we are fast approaching the pink cleats, pink goal posts, pink penalty flags and those ribbons woven into the stadium grass.  It's time for the NFL to step up for women everywhere to encourage us to make that Crucial Catch.

And it's time for the NFL to sit back down and for the American Cancer Society to step back, take a good look at the landscape and say, "Thanks, but no thanks."  If there ever was a moment in time for this self serving nonsense to come to an end, that moment, most assuredly, is now.

I've been quite vocal about the NFL choosing a more appropriate cause.  My feelings are documented in prior posts.  Take care of your own.  It you must choose a cause, brain injury is where the priority should lie.  Players generate a boatload of revenue for the league.  Those same players are at risk of some form of traumatic brain injury every time they set foot on those impeccably groomed fields.  There are concussions, injury induced brain illnesses and retired players dying early or living in squalor.

This is not okay.  It wasn't okay last year or the year before that either.  To know this is happening, and being swept under the proverbial pink carpet as the league honors women by participating in the sham known as breast cancer awareness, is what one might call a sucker punch.  That would be the 2013 version.  The sucker punch.  This year, it's not a sucker punch.  As the league honors women, its players are apparently, allegedly abusing women.  And children.  With real punches, or slaps or sticks being used to discipline toddlers.

Surely I am not the only one appalled at the thought they will choose breast cancer awareness over domestic violence awareness.  October.  In case anyone is interested, purple is the new pink.  At least it should be.  In the NFL.  October is Domestic Violence Awareness month and some of the activities planned for 31 days in October can be found on the Sanctuary for Families website.

If one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer, one in four will be the victim of domestic violence.  How do we raise awareness about this, something that is twice as prevalent as breast cancer and unlike breast cancer, IS PREVENTABLE.

It starts with a purple ribbon.  The NFL would do well to paint the town purple.  Anything less is a slap in the face to women everywhere.

 Like it?  Share it!

16 comments:

  1. Great post. It's patronizing to say the least that the NFL uses this pink-washing to prove they care. This year, it's absurd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "This year, it's absurd" kinda encapsulates the whole mess. Thanks, Amy!

      AM

      Delete
  2. So glad you wrote this. Between all the recent scandals involving the players, and the NFL demanding musicians pay the NFL to play during the Half Time show, I marvel at how the NFL can remain so deaf to the scorn directed their way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CC. There are a few really bad (should I say great) curse phrases in my head but I'm trying hard to hold back. And to think breast cancer was chosen as its poster child to rehabilitate the league image.

      Delete
  3. Yes! Yes! Purple certainly should be the new pink. I agree 100 percent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks, Nancy! It's time. Frankly, I'm a bit tired of having the "bully" cancer and as October approaches, I'd love to see big change. Maybe this will be the year??

      AM

      Delete
  4. I was just thinking about this very thing. You beat me to the post, but maybe I'll churn one out in October too. All the NFL shenanigans is unbelievable. It's always about the dollars and I don't see them changing the pink to purple this October either, but they should. They should indeed. Nicely said. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy,

      Well, there will be NO pink mouth guards! Crest just pulled their "gig" off the field. They will make the promised donation but there will be no product endorsement. It's a start!

      Hugs,
      AM

      Delete
  5. Great blog! I caution you to choose your color wisely-Purple is also the color for ACS's Relay for Life event.($$$) As we all well know, they'll be the 1st in line w/ their hands out. White is the color for Domestic Violence-It is also the color for Lung Cancer Awareness. Rest assured ACS won't touch White w/ a 10 ft. pole! :) BetsyT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point on the purple thing and Relay for Life. I used purple because it was the color suggested on the website I linked to! Thanks for clarifying for me!!!

      AM

      Delete
  6. dear Annemarie,

    I can't even imagine what the NLF will come up with this October. domestic violence certainly makes sense, as does the idea of taking care of their own as it refers to the horrendous brain injuries that players continue to experience and endure. as I sat with my son, my beautiful D-I-L and grandson and granddaughter - all rabid NFL fans, this past week-end, I was so impressed that there was a running conversation between the kids and grandkids about both of those issues - dad and mom pointing out and calling the grandkids attention to these 2 huge issues, and the way players may be great athletes, but all that aside, they aren't all roles models. the grandkids were aware of both issues, asked questions, and were given appropriate answers. but if the NFL lets sleeping dogs lie, nothing will change; a sad and shameful commentary on our society where greed and TV sports ratings are the real names of the game. I was proud of how my family have handled these many incidences of turning a blind eye to the scourges you have written about; but it gives me cold comfort about the hope for moral and humane leadership to guide them to the right outcomes. too bad the brilliant post you have written both now and in other posts can't be publicized to a much bigger audience. thank you, thank you for once again bringing it all to the forefront. with much thanks, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you tons, Karen. I think about you every single day.

      xoxo

      Delete
  7. I'm a football fan and have stage 4 BC, and while I hate the "awareness" campaign bc we are all aware we now need action, these are only a few of hundreds of players that have done these things. I also know that most of the talk condemning the whole football league is from non fans that just hate football period. The FACTS are that there is a players union and they back the player no matter what. So now you see Ray Rice appealing through the union bc they didn't get all the facts before disciplining him the first time. Peterson and Hardy are sitting home getting paid right now. That's why they wait. Yes, it has to do w money but it also has to do w the union. If they act outside of the players contract and rules of the players union then you have a lawsuit like Rice is gearing up for. Yes, they need to do something bc Ben Rothlisberger has raped 2 women and he's still playing but to go after the whole league and act like all the players are bad men is a little much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to reply to everyone but I want to clarify what may not have been entirely clear. I can see why this reads like I'm vilifying the all of the players which is not my intent. One of my heroes is Brandon Marshall and if I'm not mistaken, he had his share of problems some years back (including domestic violence), but yes, I admire that man tremendously. (Editing ones own writing for clarity can be a challenge) My condemnation of the NFL is in the fact that they choose to support us, the breast cancer community, at the expense of a cause that directly affects the players who generate the money. I believe they should be supporting ALL cancers if it's cancer they wish to support but I really believe they should be supporting brain injury/research to make sure they are taking care of their own. My commentary here about the pink ribbons is solely to point out if they want to pick a "woman" cause, I suggest domestic violence might be a better choice given the statistics and particularly with the current atmosphere surrounding the league.

      On a completely unrelated to this post note, I hate reading "stage 4 BC" ever, anywhere. I hope you are doing well and I hope you know how sincerely I mean that. As for football, I'm a fan, too! I'm weary of the pink and what is being done with all of the money. I'm tired of being aware. Awareness campaigns have their place within certain communities and in other places in the world. Metastatic disease should be a thing of the past and it's the one area, really the most important area in the scheme of things, where we've barely budged and that saddens (and angers) me. Yes, we need action.

      Unions? Don't even get me started. I'm involved on the fringes of working in a NYC construction company office and ... just don't even get me started on the unions. I think I heard something recently about the four least respected jobs. "Union leader" was number two on the list.

      AM

      Delete

Something to add? Do Share!