Friday, August 12, 2011

CLUB MEMBERSHIP NOW OPEN


“Right now, I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time.” 

Can you relate?  First, you have to stop laughing.  Steven Wright is one of the funniest, dead-pan, one liner comics and his stage presence is pure genius.   I remember seeing him on an HBO special many years ago.  His delivery, the pause for effect, the facial expression and ultimately, the statement of observation….. medicinally humorous.  Many of his lines can become mantras for the CB generation. 

CB Generation?  I GOT IT!  I just came up with a name for this club I’m going to launch.  It will be CBGB’s.  It’s easy to remember, well, since nothing is easy to remember… maybe it won’t be easy, but it rhymes, the first three letters are simple since they stand for Chemo Brain Generation.  That last “B”  ummmm, I forgot what popped into (and out of) my head when I realized I would likely have trouble with some sort of legal trademark infringement issue.

CBGB's is a renowned rock club in NYC which is undoubtedly why the letters popped into my head in the first place.  For now, I’ll have the acronym stand for:  Chemo Brain Generation Boobs (Buddies?).  I will give that some thought.  By the time I figure it out, the process server will be at my door with a cease and desist order and I’ll have to start from scratch anyway.  For now, if you are reading, you are a charter member of the presently known as, (and likely just as quickly formerly known as) CBGB’s.  Welcome.

Offically:

CBGB 

The Mission:  Soidarity, support and sympathy for those experiencing SIMULTANEOUS bouts of amnesia and deja vu.

With proper credit to Steven Wright for the brilliant observations and with profuse apologies to The Original CBGB’s, allow me to present the Top Ten (fully expecting another process server from the Letterman folks) talking points should you attempt to recruit new members. 

  • When I’m not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.
  • On the other hand, you have different fingers.
  • I was trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.
  • Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.
  • It doesn’t make a difference what temperature a room is, it’s always room temperature.
  • There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
  • Well, you know when you’re rocking in a rocking chair, and you go so far that you almost fall over backwards, but at the last instant you catch yourself?  That’s how I feel all the time.
  • I like to reminisce with people I don’t know.
  • I’m writing a book.  I’ve got the page numbers done.
  • A friend of mine once sent me a post card with a picture of the entire planet Earth taken from space.  On the back, it said, “Wish you were here.”


Wish you were here!  (from me, not SW)

On that note, let me wish everyone a happy, stupid weekend.  I will spend it preparing arguments in advance of the anticipitory CBGB legal issue and contacting Steven Wright to offer him an honorary membership into the club.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to add? Do Share!